Thirteen percent of the individuals living in San Diego County are living below the federal poverty level, a report released last month stated. The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) report, “Poverty in the San Diego Region,” released in December 2013, provided details about this group of 387,565 people.

In a study of these individuals, 54 percent are female and 46 percent male.

An examination of this group’s ethnic makeup revealed the following:

*White/Caucasian – 32 percent

*Hispanic – 48 percent

*Black – 6 percent

*Asian – 10 percent

*Other – 3 percent

The SANDAG report also revealed statistics on birth place data relating to this group:

*California born – 50 percent

*Foreign born – 30 percent

*Born in another state – 18 percent

*Native but born outside the U.S. – 1 percent

Established by the U.S. Census Bureau, the federal poverty level for an individual is an annual income of no more than $11,945 for a person under 65 years old; $11,011 for those over 65 years old.

On a household level, the poverty level is determined by the number of occupants in the dwelling. An example is if there were four people in the home – income could not exceed $23,492. These numbers are annual household income before taxes.

The study showed that a large percent of those living below the poverty level are those who had low educational achievements.

In San Diego County, 34 percent of those living below poverty level had not completed high school.

In terms of government assistance, 28 percent of San Diego County families living below the poverty level said they had received supplemental Social Security income and/or cash public assistance income in the past 12 months.

Writer’s note: This SANDAG report does not break out specific poverty statistics for unincorporated areas of San Diego County, such as the Fallbrook/Bonsall area. Requests for this specific information have gone unanswered by SANDAG.

11 Responses to "SANDAG report says 13 percent of individuals (387,565 people) in San Diego County are living below federal poverty level"

1. Ray (the real one)   January 16, 2014 at 2:29 pm

A lot more than that folks. These numbers are always underreporteds like the unemployment numbers. According to a NYT story, San Diego County has one of the highest rates of homeless of non-major cities or areas.

The county of San Diego has the lowest partisapation rate of social services (food stamps, rental assistance, etc). I can make a ball park guess, you can find more than 387.565 people from downtown San Diego, east to Mira Mar, I-5 north to the SR 56 to south to Dary Mart road.

SANDAG last time I checked, "big whigs" go to the Country Club in Borrego, play golf and "soft soap" all of us.

2. Redneck Bill   January 16, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Of all the atrocities, and the Lord knows there are many, at the minimum they give you food stamps Ray.

I think all of us can sleep a little better knowing that at least one of the 387,569 folks in poverty is receiving his just dues.

You must be very proud that the white folks are only 16 percentage points behind the hermanos.

3. Ray (the real one)Redneck: It took three tries to get the meager   January 17, 2014 at 10:57 am

Redneck: It took three tries to get the meager amount received. Let`s just say it would have been easier if I was 5` 1", fat, non english speaking and with six ninos.

Reminds me of a story. Back in 1979, my wife was pregnant with our first child, Jimmy Carter was in the White House, the economy sucked, as with this Carter, Unemployment was about 20% in Chicago.

I went to the public assistance office on 18th street, heart of the ghetto to apply for assistance. When I got to the window, a black woman asked me, why am I here, I replied, to apply for assistance. She replied, your the wrong color.

Thirty five years later, across the country, I get the same comment.

Just think, without government handouts and the kindness of "whitey" they would not be minorities, just not here.

Story in the SF Gate yestarday, Hispanics are now the majority and growing. Well get used to not being able to drink the water and flush the toilets. California is gone, there is no more California.

Reminds me of another story, white flight, but I will save it for another day.

4. grunt   January 17, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Ray, seems you have been fighting to get on assistance an awful lot for one who despises those on it so much. Iremeber the last time you spoke of having a "job" was getting state assistance to take care of your mother, or that is what I recall.

5. Ray (the real one)   January 17, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Grunt: I worked all my life, served my country, I am entitled. I did not lay an egg, tunnel,. dig, swim or any other ILLEGAL activity to get my meager benefits.

The story I told happens every day for over 30 years, nothing has changed. Actually mother was a state retiriree, big benefits package but once again, she eaened it according to governor moon beam.

Let`s face it, without government assistance, minorities would not be a problem.

Now…… I have no problems giving assistance to people who actually need it but the inability to use a condom does not qualify. More nino`s’ more dinero`s

ANYONE who is not here legally should NOT receive ANYTHING. Citizens should have a time limit on benefits, stop welfare loafing, period.

6. grunt   January 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Ray, I am becoming extremely confused by your contradictory statement. One "I have worked all my life: Each time I apply for assistance I am the wrong color". Seems that since YOU served you are entitled, but you have poked fun at me plenty for my meager military pension.

7. Ray (the real one)   January 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Grunt:

1979 and 2013 (twice in 30 years) I applied, both Carter administrations, white and black versions. Can`t imagine calling your pension meager, if you retired, your making a lot more than meager for a pension. Might have me confused with a democratic poster.

Most homeless I know of are vets from Viet Nam to Desert Storm, most with emotional problems, PTSD a word the military still fails to acknowledge, accept and supply treatment.

Seems Americans and veterans are on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to social assistance, unless you speak only spanish, three kids in tow and one ready to pop, and recently dug, swam, climbed panga boated across, need not apply.

So, in over 30 years, nothing changed.

82nd Airborne.

8. Lee   January 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm

. . . but no current and active members of our almighty military-industrial complex are in this group.

Shocker.

9. Ray (the real one)   January 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Have not figured it out yet? Military personnel or veterans are NEVER considered in any statistics especially in a democratic administration. Shamefully really, I suggest these folks walk around downtown San Diego and talk to some folks, might be surprised how many are ex military.

10. grunt   January 22, 2014 at 11:08 pm

@Lee – what are you referring to? there are some Marines living below the poverty level – does that make you happy? How hateful can one be to wish or hope that a man or women who works well over 50 hours a week prepared to die for you live in poverty.

11. Ray (the real one)   January 23, 2014 at 9:46 am

Grunt: My drill instructor gave me some really good advise. He said, military pay sucks, don`t think of having a wife or kids until your third stripe. Unfortuniately I was already married and kid on the way when I enlisted so the first few years were tough but I still believe the words of my old drill instructor.

The reason wht young military personnel live in poverty is one of two things family-kids and easy credit E1 and up.

I sent the majority of my money home, lived on base, ate lousy Army food for four years and still managed to purchase my retirement land in North Dakota. I avoided the temtations most military personnel hall into, squandering the money they get.

The military does offer some really good financial counsuling services to young personnel but many just refuse to listen. I feel sorry for military personnel today, getting in trouble is so easy