SAN DIEGO – Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest day of the year for football fans. For the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, it’s a time to execute a winning game plan designed to stop drunk drivers.

Watch for increased DUI patrols by Sheriff’s Deputies across the county beginning on Sunday, February 3, 3 p.m. and lasting through 5 a.m. the following day.

According to the Automobile Club of Southern California, there are more alcohol-related car crashes on Super Bowl Sunday in California than on any other Sunday in January and February.

“Wherever you decide to watch the Super Bowl, remember not to drink and drive,” said Sheriff Bill Gore. “If you do drink alcohol, have a designated driver ready or call a taxi to take you home. Remember: Fans don’t let fans drive drunk!”

If you are having a Super Bowl viewing party, be aware of San Diego County’s “Social Host” ordinance. Anyone caught serving alcohol to a minor will be arrested and booked into jail. You can report underage drinking to the Sheriff’s Department by calling the non-emergency line at (858) 565-5200. You can also learn more about your responsibility as a “Social Host” by visiting: www.sdsheriff.net/social-host.

Be a winner this Super Bowl Sunday: Don’t drink and drive!

Funding for the Super Bowl Sunday DUI patrols is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

8 Responses to "Sheriff’s Dept. warns “Don’t drink and drive on Super Bowl Sunday;” increased DUI patrols throughout county"

1. marty   January 28, 2014 at 11:03 am

after my first drink. I’m locking myself in my bedroom. like the woffman. No driving for me.

2. Me   January 28, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Amount of times I’ve almost been hit by a DUI driver in the past YEAR———-ZERO.

Amount of times I’ve almost been hit by a TEXTING DRIVER in the past
    MONTH——–SEVEN.

So let’s put all our resources on the LESS frequent problem.

3. grunt   January 28, 2014 at 4:28 pm

@ me – curious, when do you drive? I would guess that more during the business hours and less during the time bars are closing ;-) However I agree- texting drivers are really becoming a potential pain -

4. Lee   January 28, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Folks, PLEASE don’t drink and drive!!! Stay home and enjoy a cold one and the game in the comfort of your own home.

And then do the smart thing by stayin’ home.

5. Ray (the real one)   January 29, 2014 at 4:31 pm

How come the SDSO does massive enforcements for American sporting events but not for soccer? Scared MALDEF and LULAC might make trouble.

Catch more drunks when Mexico and Brazil plays…….

I don`t drink but be safe folks.

6. grunt   January 29, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Come on Ray- there is no political correctness in this; I am sure they bust drunk everything every night. You have been a lot more interesting lately when you have been a little less anti-Mexican. I think you are intelligent, and offer some really on the spot comments, but then you come up with this, and it lessens your impact. (Just my thoughts).

7. Ray (the real one)   January 30, 2014 at 10:25 am

Grunt: Show me a story in ANY media outlet where law enforcement states it is doing extra patrols for a soccer match, I`ll wait.

Escondido checkpoints are a good example of law enforcement being bullied into NOT doing rtheir jobs.

Just pointing out the obvious.

8. Joemamma   February 1, 2014 at 11:54 am

Beers+smoker+home= A great Superbowl Sunday. The only real decision is ribs or brisket.