Sheriff’s Dept. warns of scam regarding “arrest warrant”

SAN DIEGO COUNTY – It’s a startling phone call you could receive: “There’s a warrant out for your arrest.” A scam going on right now in San Diego county hopes that fear will cause residents to act without thinking.

The caller is very pushy and poses as an employee of the Sheriff’s Department. To make the pitch very convincing, the scammer will:

-use the name of an actual Sheriff’s Department employee

-give the actual telephone number of a Sheriff’s station or substation

-have some of your personal information such as a former address or your date of birth

-threaten you with jail time or taking away your driver license

-ask for more personal information

-ask for money – either via credit, debit or prepaid card

Impersonating a Sheriff’s deputy is a violation of state law. Remember, no deputy or employee of the Sheriff’s Department will ever contact members of the public by telephone to demand money or any other form of payment. If you get this type of call, hang up immediately.

7 Responses to "Sheriff’s Dept. warns of scam regarding “arrest warrant”"

1. CRYSTAL   April 21, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I get those types of calls all the time, its been a good year now, they call and call and call, I hang up, they still call, they have a accent, I cant understand them but they will introduce themselves as "John Smith", they had my name, SSN, bank account information, telling me if I didnt pay, god bless, and I would be arrested, so watch out people, be careful!

2. Pink   April 21, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I have a nice little thing called call screening. If I don’t recognize the caller name I simply do not answer. If it is something important, they can leave a message. Saves a lot of wasted time.

3. Reality Checker   April 21, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Some idiots will fall for this crud. If they do, they get what they deserve.

4. stupidscammerz   April 21, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Stupid scammers! Also beware that another scammer is calling students who go to Palomar college asking for the last four of your social. He is very pushy and keeps calling. Palomar college never calls students asking for social security numbers. The last time the guy called I told him I was recording his call to turn over to the police and he hung up.

5. Forwarned Fallbrookian   April 22, 2014 at 10:28 am

‘Reality Checker’ – Wow aren’t you the compassionate one – NOT! If someone is identifying themselves as an actual officer, and reading you your personal information on the phone, it would throw anyone off base, and could confuse them enough to believe the caller. Thankfully, these victims have come forward and shared their horror story with the police and newspaper to warn the rest of us to avoid this scam. The only IDIOTS here are the con artists that are using fear as a tool against us. Oh, btw – I have not been a victim of this tactic, but thankfully I am now aware of it, and able to protect myself.

6. Reality Checker   April 23, 2014 at 11:16 am

Forwarded,
    If you don’t have enough common sense to realize that anyone posing as a law enforcement officer on the phone demanding credit card/bank acct info under the threat of arrest is a CON ARTIST, then maybe you should get taken too.
    REALIZE THIS: NO ONE calling you demanding credit card or bank account info is REAL. NOBODY! Furthermore, no one calling "YOU" is wanting ANYTHING MORE than to TAKE YOUR MONEY. PERIOD. They are either trying to sell you crap that you don’t want, or they are trying to RIP YOU OFF!! No one that calls you has YOUR best interest at heart and you should HANG UP IMMEDIATELY. Anyone that doesn’t "get" this is an IDIOT!!

7. Old Guy   April 23, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Never, ever, give any information to anyone who is making the initial call to you, even if you think it is someone you know or trust. Always, always get a call back number, so you can either call back or verify or even get an email address or web page. Never, ever donate over the phone without making the call yourself, not the other way around.You only need to learn this lesson once, the hard way.You should be sure to tell all your children and grandchildren this.There are people that sound legitimate, like "Policeman’s Association or Fireman’s Friend" that sound good intentioned but you never know……………