Testing of “Giant Voice” system on Naval Weapons Station Fallbrook resumes

NAVAL WEAPONS STATION-FALLBROOK – After a few days off, testing and calibration of the new Giant Voice mass notification loudspeaker system at the Fallbrook Naval Weapons Station is scheduled to resume this morning, Monday, April 14.

Authorities said this process will include occasional 2- to 3-minute periods of siren, white noise, and voice announcements, and should be completed by the end of the week.

Once calibration is complete, the system should be tested no more often than once per quarter, for a period of only 2- to 3-minutes.

25 Responses to "Testing of “Giant Voice” system on Naval Weapons Station Fallbrook resumes"

1. Lee   April 14, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Fear works.

2. Here's a Thought   April 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm

"Fear Works."

Ignorance doesn’t.

3. Neighbor   April 15, 2014 at 6:58 am

It would be nice if they told us BEFORE it happened, rather than after…

4. Lee   April 15, 2014 at 7:09 am

@ #2 Here’s a Thought

I couldn’t agree more.

5. Seriously??   April 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm

ummmm Lee…. I think Here’s a Thought was referring to you…..

Do you not want to be warned that a fire or other catastrophe is coming?

6. Lee   April 15, 2014 at 3:16 pm

@ #5 Seriously

Gee, no kidding. I am completely aware that #2’s comments were aimed at me and that he/she is sarcastic. I pity her lack of knowledge.

7. Seriously??   April 15, 2014 at 5:17 pm

@Lee: Where does comment #2 show a lack of knowledge? The only person commenting here with a lack of knowledge is yourself. Now answer the question. Do you, or do you not, want to be notified in advance if a wildfire is threatening you? If so, how pray tell, is a siren being used to instill fear?

8. DR DR   April 15, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I THINKI IT’S FABULOUS! I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS AN EMERGENCY – FIRE-GET OUT OR TERRORISTS ATTACK-STAY IN.

9. Robb   April 16, 2014 at 3:07 am

FEAR THE GIANT VOICE! FEAR IT!!!!

10. Lee   April 16, 2014 at 8:18 am

@ #7 Seriously??

"Now answer the question." Yes, ma’am! Right away, ma’am!

Do you TRULY believe this siren will be used in case of fires? I wish it were! We’ll find out the next time, heaven forbid, we have a fire, right? But the sad fact is that it will be used for Camp Pendleton’s purposes only. And all those "tests" will be conveniently used by our military-industrial complex to remind us that the boys are here to stay . . . and for us to love ’em, support ’em, and most important of all, to pay our taxes like sheep so they can have a free ride in life.

Honorable intentions of this siren? Are you kidding me? This is the new propaganda color scale thing that was used after 9/11 to instill fear in people.

Yes, yes, I’m sure that hoard of . . . Liechtensteiners is waitin’ on our doorsteps to attack us and, thus, the need for this siren. This thing is about instilling fear in people, nothing else!

PS. Or was that Samoans in their outriggers waitin’ offshore to come ashore in the middle of the night? Dang, I’m afraid of all 74 of them.

11. Pink   April 16, 2014 at 11:35 am

well… somebody’s elevator doesn’t go to the top floor.

12. Really?   April 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm

To quote Dr. Lyle S. Rossiter, Jr. M.D. in his book, The Liberal Mind, The Psychological Causes of Political Madness:

13. grunt   April 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Lee, the "voice" is Navy, not Camp Pendleton – Seal Beach owns and operates NWS. Lee, about taxes, if you do not pay them then how can the government have enough money to move the poles you want moved (the preceding article.)

14. Mitch   April 17, 2014 at 4:30 am

Fallbrook is so full of noise!!!!!

15. Lee   April 17, 2014 at 7:27 am

@ #7 Seriously??

Your majesty, I humbly submit that I would like to pose two questions for thee which I request that you answer.

If this town is serious about a loudspeaker notification system to warn us of fires, do you not think, in your infinite wisdom, that it would make MORE sense to have . . . SEVERAL speakers throughout Fallbrook, say one in Rainbow, a couple in De Luz, a couple more in Bonsall, and a few throughout Fallbrook? Don’t you think, your majesty? So why only . . . one?

And if we were to install these speakers, don’t you think they are antiquated means of communication considering the fact that we have cellphones and websites and reverse 911, etc. that warn us of disasters right on our phones? (I can’t quite remember the website.) So why this loudspeaker system from . . . WWII?

I shall hold my breath with great anticipation for your wise answers although I kindly ask you to not wait too long . .

Your loyal peasant,
    Lee

16. Lee   April 17, 2014 at 7:50 am

@ #12 Really?

Are ya talkin’ about the fair & balanced news channel, its sheep, right wingers and Tea Baggers again? Hmm? Are ya talkin’ about . . . yourself?

17. Seriously??   April 17, 2014 at 8:36 am

Lee, you are hilarious. First of all you never answered my questions, at least not in a language that anyone can understand, and second of all, your questions don’t make any sense (not that that is unusual). However, I will merely state that I believe that one siren for the area is sufficient, it is certainly loud enough. I also like the reverse 911, although I have to say that when Fallbrook was evacuated during the last wildfire I never got a reverse 911 so a siren would have been helpful. As far as cell phone notification goes, not everyone has a cell phone Lee, and sometimes cell towers can burn to the ground.

I will add that I agree completely with Really?? and Pink.

18. Terry Leather   April 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

Your attitude has been noted Mr. Anti-Industrial Military Complex and for your own good we

19. Margaret   April 17, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I totally support the new notification system(Lee slam it all you want but for me I will hope it saves my house/me and my family) I just wish they would say something like …this is a test only a test…blah blah blah
    Also are they going to give different variations to the alarm if we do need to evacuate as I’m already ignoring it since it’s the same ole message
    I grew up in Kansas and they tested our tornado sirens the first Monday of each month so we all knew they were working…..once a quarter isn’t very often….

20. Seek Help Soon   April 17, 2014 at 7:38 pm

@ Lee..If Conservatives, as you state are "Teabaggers", are Liberals the teabaggees? I’m just saying….

21. LMAO   April 18, 2014 at 9:16 am

I guess that Lee has once again taken his toys and gone home……

22. Really?   April 18, 2014 at 10:29 am

"Teabaggers"…I guess that means you fall into the "political illiterate" category huh.

23. Pink   April 18, 2014 at 11:17 am

Lee is parroting comments he has heard other liberals make. He has apparently never had an original thought. I doubt if even he knows what exactly it is he stands for.

24. Really?   April 18, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Let’s all help Lee out.

Teabagger definition…

Derogatory term used by low information self absorbed single issue socialist solipsists to describe those with American patriotic ideals, higher thought processes and an utter contempt for intrusive do-gooders who think they can run other peoples lives.

Used as a noun when the solipsist can find no reasonable argument when engaged by fellow citizens who vocally defend their rights and freedoms from those advocating Socialism and intrusion from a monolithic Nanny-State.

25. Redneck Bill   April 19, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I’m going to help YOU out here Really?

Not everyone with whom you disagree is a low information, self absorbed, single issue solipist. You beclown yourself by thinking so.

There are Americans patriots with ideals of many beliefs. It is accepted that this is what has made America great. Thinking only you and those who think as you do are worthy or patriotic or better is no different than the thinking of the Third Reich.

Change is difficult for everyone, not just you. Either adapt or evolve out of existence.