Two Camp Pendlton-based Marines sentenced for shooting out windows

LAGUNA BEACH – A pair of 20-year-old Camp Pendleton-based Marines arrested last fall for shooting out the windows of more than two dozen stores and vehicles from San Clemente to Newport Beach pleaded guilty to a couple of misdemeanors today and were sentenced to community service and placed on three years of probation.

Joseph Ikaika Nahale of Fremont and Jesse Jordan Ivie of Gresham, Ore., both pleaded guilty to misdemeanor vandalism, according to court records. Multiple misdemeanor and federal counts of vandalism were dismissed.

Nahale and Ivie were put on three years of informal probation and ordered to do 80 hours of community service and eight hours of graffiti removal, according to court records. Their driver’s licenses were suspended for a year.

A 25-year-old woman who works at the Gelson’s grocery store in the Monarch Bay Plaza shopping center at Pacific Coast Highway and Crown Valley Parkway in Dana Point was resting in the back seat of her car at about midnight on Oct. 21 when the rear and passenger side windows were shot out, according to Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department. The woman saw a red Ford Explorer speeding away from the scene, he said.

The woman was unhurt, but the vandalism was estimated at $1,000, Amormino said.

Laguna Beach police were called about 25 window-shattering incidents from Saturday night through early Sunday. Eight storefronts and 17 vehicles were damaged, Laguna Beach police Lt. Jason Kravetz said.

Laguna Beach police were first alerted to the shootings when they responded to a burglar alarm at about 12:15 a.m. on Oct. 21 at 790 S. Coast Highway, according to Kravetz. Police noticed a business across the street had a shattered window.

Laguna Beach police notified sheriff’s deputies, who pulled over the two suspects in a Ford Explorer just before 1:00 a.m. that day on Pacific Coast Highway near the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Dana Point, according to Kravetz. Deputies found two pellet guns in the vehicle, according to Kravetz and Amormino.

Three vehicles in San Clemente, two in Dana Point and one in Newport Beach were also damaged that night early into the next day, Amormino said.

26 Responses to "Two Camp Pendlton-based Marines sentenced for shooting out windows"

1. Lee   May 1, 2013 at 7:31 am

Gee, there’s a shocker!

Those who kill also commit crimes. Who’d a thunk it?!

2. Disgusted   May 1, 2013 at 10:30 am

Guess that is how you also explain gang bangers huh Lee.

3. grunt   May 1, 2013 at 10:48 am

Take any other group of 20 year old – I supect you will find the Marines have a much lower crime rate than thier civilain counterparts – those that kill protect this country – duh.

4. vet   May 1, 2013 at 10:54 am

Lee is one ignorant, sick pup. Not very creative either.

There is nothing in this story about them having to pay restitution. They should of had their future pay garnished and they should not have had their driver’s licenses taken. As if there aren’t enough people driving around without licenses.

5. Me   May 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

The "Sounds of Freedom" right? Morons.

6. S   May 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm

They should have been sentenced to pay for their damage!

7. two young...   May 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Two young idiots, being idiots. Too bad they are Marines. Just making the other responsible young Marines look bad.

8. De Luz Neighbor   May 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I remember walking down the main drag in Oceanside once. Four Marines were walking shoulder to shoulder to monopolize the entire sidewalk. To prove their manliness they (the five of them) refused to break formation to let me pass.

It was many years ago but the Base did some type of cross-country hike that put their guys on part of De Luz Road. I was on De Luz Road that day and saw a group of about ten Marines in uniform. A guy in the middle of the group lifted his rifle and leveled it right at my face as I drove past.

I’ve been haunted by the images of a dead Marine having had his jaw ripped off by a tree limb after flying off De Luz Road during a drunken beer-run. Every time I pass that stupid white cross I’m reminded of their monumental stupidity and his terrifying demise.

More recently, half ejected people hanging out of a car and another lying on the sidewalk in front of Los Jilgueros Park come to mind as I pass that place.

Countless jalopy-burnouts through the Albertson’s parking lot

9. Wizard of Fallbrook   May 2, 2013 at 4:37 am

There has been a lot of trouble lately…Rapes, killings…thats just in Fallbrook…

10. momz   May 2, 2013 at 9:51 am

Young men and women are going to do what they do, it’s a given we all have done some crazy and yes stupid things when we were younger. But I will always respect the men and women that are willing to put themselves in harm for the safety and protection of myself and family. God Bless America and our men and women that fight for our freedom, even if they are young and make dumb choices sometimes.

11. FDA   May 2, 2013 at 1:41 pm

De Luz neighbor,

You may want to proof read before you post your exaggerated opinion….was it four or five Marines? Having lived around Camp Pendleton for 35 years, I have had far more positive experiences with Marines than negative ones. When driving by accidents I often see Marines who have stopped to render aide and help direct traffic around. I am proud to have such an honorable group of individuals live near me.

12. Lee   May 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

@#8 De Luz Neighbor

Thank you, I appreciate your remarks and support.

13. Seriously   May 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Funny, Neighbor, I’ve had most of the things you mentioned happen to me at one time or another in places where no military personnel were present. I’ve seen some nasty accidents that involved people who weren’t Marines. I’ve seen plenty of people riding motorcycles in crazy ways who have never served in the military. Rapes are committed every day by civilians. Some young men are idiots. It’s the nature of the young male, not the military in general.

I call B.S. on the rifle being pointed at your face – 22 years in and around the military and I’ve never seen anything like that, ever. Their behinds would be handed to them on a platter if they so much as waved it in the wrong direction accidentally.

But stereotypes are fun and they sure do make us feel superior.

14. Pink   May 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Thank you "Seriously" I agree with you 100%. Pointed a rifle at a civilian? I don’t think so. I also question the incident about the "4 or was it 5" Marines walking abreast and forcing him off the sidewalk. Oceanside is a "military town", if an officer (even off duty) had seen something like that, their A–es would have been grass! While I don’t doubt for one minute that there are jerks, and even some criminals, in the corps, the majority of them are fine, upstanding young men and women, just like anywhere else, military or civilian, there are good people and bad people. I have always been treated with respect and courtesy in any and all encounters with Marines, both in town and on the base. I have never been called "mam" so much in my life!! (-: I think that we need to remember that they are, in many instances, just kids a long way from home. As far as de luz neighbors totally uncalled for and mean spirited tirade against Vet, I side with Vet. Lee’s comments here, like most of his other postings, make him sound like a very sick puppy indeed.

15. De Luz Neighbor   May 2, 2013 at 9:49 pm

‘FDA’- Yes, five Marines. Four of them assembled themselves shoulder-to shoulder, took up the entire sidewalk and forced me into the street. I was upset and embarrassed for not having the courage to stick up for myself but it was no big deal. I survived and certainly don’t claim that they represented the whole. You missed the point though. Read it again without the defensive filter.

Seriously – You call BS? Or you are BS? If it had been you, you would have just pulled the truck over and snatched that Marine right out of the crowd, right? I call BS and suggest that you are the exact type of punk that gives an otherwise honorable institution a bad name and the same type of wannabe who pats himself on the back for serving while forgetting that it was people like me who payed your way. Oh, and 22 years? Really! Well…aren’t you a special little apologist.

-You’re welcome Lee.

There’s no shame in trying to provoke a dialogue, I guess.

We have indeed become desensitized to the loss of life. War and hostility sucks. Feelings of racial superiority, religion and nationalistic pride fuels the fire. I see it right here all the time and it’s very unsettling. You conjured up thoughts of incidental loss of life and collateral damage. If we were on the receiving end, imagine what we’d feel or what we’d do. Did you see this?

But to blame the entire military or Camp Pendleton for rowdy Marines shooting out windows would be totally lame, but isn’t defending their actions just because they’re Marines equally lame?

One thing’s for sure, I personally *never* would have done *anything* like what these Pendleton idiots did! Except for that night I went out with my next-door neighbor and we murdered a whole bunch of the neighbors Christmas lights with our BB guns.

The following night, my neighbor knocked on my window to summons my presence. He had with him several dozen Christmas lights for which he made me pay half of. We spent the rest of that night replacing the ones we broke and (‘FDA’) trust me when I say; it was no easy task.

16. flbkboy   May 3, 2013 at 9:48 am

De Luz neighbor I support you and your thoughts on Marines and problems they cause for Fallbrook. To bad Vet, Pink and seriously dont live in the real world.. they just blindly support marines no matter what terrible things they do, they are heros to them…OH and they love the sound of freedom

17. Proud Marine   May 3, 2013 at 11:29 am

I’m curious De Luz Neighbor. When did this incident with the 4 (5)?? Marines take place? How long ago? Was it in broad daylight or at night, perhaps in an area of bars and night clubs? As Pink pointed out, if this incident had been witnessed by myself, for instance, I, as a non com, would have stopped, taken their names and reported them to their CO. What they did is conduct unbecoming and they know it. I don’t think that Pink or FDA or anyone else here is defending them simply because they are Marines, as Pink said, as in any group of people, there are going to be some jerks and some criminals. Frankly de luz, some of your comments lead me to believe that you are anti military, so I can’t help wondering if your comments aren’t just a little bit tainted.

18. De Luz Neighbor   May 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm

For the most part, I’m thankful that we have the Base as a neighbor instead of homes and commercial buildings all the way to the coast. There’s been times that I’ve choked on the smoke and been pissed at a low flying helicopters. I also remember times that we were embroiled in battle with our troops being engaged in full-blown combat. My take on air traffic has varied from wanting to flip ’em off to wishing they’d fly a little lower so I could deliver a high-five as they flew-by ( figuratively speaking ;-).

Everybody has a right to argue their case but can you imagine if we talked to each other in person like we do here?

19. De Luz Neighbor   May 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Proud Marine.

I guess you’re probably right. I have no connection to the military and think of it as more of a necessity than a point of pride.

I do have family who lost their life in combat. One was a Navy Seal and he was killed while leading his men into combat. I’m proud of his actions. I honor his sacrifice. I mourn the loss.

I’m also curious; if you had the power of God with boundless love for all things, would you choose that your loved-ones go to war or would you just wave your hand to mitigate the contentions?

20. Proud Marine   May 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Sounds to me like "flbkboy" has had some issues with Marines. Stealing his girlfriend maybe? A lot of Women do tend to go for those guys in uniform. As for his silly comment about Pink, Seriously and Vet not living in the real world?? Blinding supporting the Marines no matter what?? I reread their comments and they didn’t say that at all, just the opposite. As Pink put it, "there are good and bad people in the military, just like everywhere else". I think maybe I’ll have a little more respect for Flbkboy’s opinion when he grows up and becomes Flbkman. Sorry for your loss De Luz neighbor.

21. Jeepers   May 4, 2013 at 2:44 am

I love how Pink, Vet, and Proud Marine attack the entire post written by De Luz neighbor and flbkboy are dismissed as lies from the pc crowd. The neighborhood where I lived back in 1987-1993 had several Marine Officer families. These men truly were great male role models, true gentlemen to everyone, and treated their wives like the ladies they were. I have so many fond childhood memories of them playing "Kick the Can" with all of the neighborhood kids. They were always respectful of everyone, and there were never any incidents of domestic violence or even name calling. And that’s how it should be with everyone- military or not.

I have also had some bad experiences as well, which I have tried not to let cloud my opinion or attitude. Just because some of you have had only positive experiences with Marines, doesn’t mean that the residents who haven’t- are liars or anti-military.

Last July, I was pulling out of my kid’s daycare, when a black car with some crazy driver, started screaming and cussing at me. The passenger, (who just got out of the Marine Corps) threw boiling hot coffee at me and my 6 year old and 2 year girls daughters. The driver of the car, stopped at 7-11 and gave the sheriff deputy the address where he worked. She told me and the cop that she was trying to evict him, because of his violent behavior. Later that day the cop called to let me know they gave the suspect a citation to appear in court, on 2 counts of simple battery.

He told me the guy was crying and really sorry. He asked me if I still wanted to press charges. I said, "Absolutely." Then he told me, "he just got out of the Marines and has PSTD." I said, "There are plenty of Marines that have actual PSTD. The fact that a Marine or (anyone) who has PSTD- throws boiling hot coffee at me and my kids, is no excuse." Not buying into the "PSTD" bullcrap. What about my kids being scared to get in the car for the next week?? My poor little girls were crying, while the deputy took pictures of their coffee stained clothes and hair. This punk didn’t have PSTD- he was trying to get out of trouble. He was sorry he got caught. Not sorry that he did it. The DA’s office made a plea bargain with him, and he pled guilty to one count of simple battery on my 6 year old.

Now I have had both good experiences with Marines, and bad experiences. I am not anti-military, or anti-marine. I am sharing both my good and bad experiences, yet people will probably call me a liar, or anti-military after reading this post.

22. Pink   May 4, 2013 at 8:56 am

@Jeepers: I believe that I said that there are good and bad everywhere, the military is no different. I said that my experience with Marines has been mostly positive. What happened to you and your children is despicable and you absolutely should press charges! I have a Marine son in law who would have probably kicked that jerks butt from here to Sunday if he witnessed such an encounter or had it happen to his wife and kids. There wouldn’t be enough of that idiot to prosecute. I also think that everyone crying PTSD when they don’t have it is like a woman crying rape which she wasn’t or someone screaming prejudice when they weren’t discriminated against. It diminishes the actual cases where people truly have PTSD, etc. I was questioning De Luz Neighbors accounts of what has happened to him, it seems to me like there is more to the story of the 4 Marines and I find it very hard to believe that a Marine would point a rifle at a civilian, especially in what sounded like formation. Someone would have reported him.I’m not saying it didn’t happen, I’m just wondering when it happened. I’m very sorry that incident happened to you and your daughters "Jeepers", it makes me angry. The Marines are always "looking for a few good men" it sounds like they found a bad one. Glad he’s out.

23. Lee   May 4, 2013 at 9:39 am

@ #16 flbkboy

Here, here!

24. FDA   May 4, 2013 at 10:03 am

Keepers you couldn’t be more wrong. If you all read and comprehend what I said you will see that I have had more positive experiences with Marines than negative ones. The problem that I have is when people lump all Marines, or a group of people for that matter, into one category. People need to stop stereotyping and judge each person for their own actions. If we were talking about a race here, there would be hundreds of comments throwing racism around.

I would also like to point out that I have met a lot of great NCO’s and enlisted folks, not just officers. A college degree doesn’t make you a good person, character does.

25. FDA   May 4, 2013 at 10:19 am

Proud Marine,

It’s not the uniform that attracts us women to you guys, it’s the confidence, honor, manliness, and sense of protection that draws us to Marines. Don’t get me wrong, the uniform is hot, but it is who is wearing that uniform! The hottest of all is the dress blues is the Enlisted with the blood stripe, oh and the more medals and ribbons, the hotter! Hehe

26. Pink   May 4, 2013 at 12:47 pm