UPDATE: Sheriff’s deputies, canine, catch carjacker in Bonsall

Sheriff’s deputies, utilizing the help of a canine officer, caught a suspect in a carjacking case in Bonsall yesterday, Wed., January 30, shortly after the crime took place at 3:10 p.m.

According to Sheriff’s Sgt. Patrick Yates, “A 911 call was received from the victim who reported that someone had just robbed him of his vehicle at gunpoint. The victim was calling from the Park & Ride area near the intersection of State Route 76 and Old Highway 395 in Fallbrook.”

Yates said the suspect apparently approached the victim, who was standing next to his Toyota truck and “asked him if he could spare any change.” When the victim told the suspect he had a dollar, Yates said the suspect told the victim, “That’s not good enough,” and pulled a handgun from his waistband.

“The suspect pointed the gun at the victim’s head and demanded the keys to his vehicle,” said Yates. “The victim gave the suspect his keys.”

At that point, Yates said the suspect got into the victim’s vehicle and drove westbound on State Route 76.

“Near the intersection of 76 and South Mission Road, he attempted a u-turn and lost control of the vehicle,” said Yates. “The vehicle went down an embankment on the south side of 76 and got stuck in the dirt. The suspect exited the vehicle and fled on foot into River Village Plaza shopping center across the highway.”

Yates said it appears that the suspect ignited a fire in the vehicle before fleeing from it. “The fire was extinguished before any surrounding brush could catch fire,” he noted.

Assisted by California Highway Patrol officers, Sheriff’s deputies set up a perimeter around the shopping center, Yates said.

“The suspect, later identified as Robert James Lynch was found hiding in a trash dumpster,” said Yates.

Yates said Lynch was taken into custody without further incident. Officers found a black replica handgun in the dumpster.

Lynch, age 24, a transient from Wildomar, was then positively identified by the victim of the carjacking. He was booked into the Vista Jail on charges of carjacking, arson, and a felony warrant for grand theft out of Riverside County.

(early version of story)

Sheriff’s deputies, canine, track down suspect in carjacking case

Debbie Ramsey

Managing Editor

The Sheriff’s Dept. is currently working on a carjacking incident that has resulted in a suspect being questioned in River Village, Bonsall.

According to Sheriff’s Lt. Todd Richardson, at approximately 3:15 p.m. today (Wed., Jan. 29) a male suspect carjacked a truck from it’s owner at the Mobile/Circle K gas station property at the intersection of State Route 76 and Interstate 15. The suspect then drove the truck westbound on 76 and crashed the vehicle near River Village shopping center in Bonsall.

When the suspect fled on foot into the shopping center complex, Sheriff’s deputies deployed a canine to search for the individual. The canine found the suspect hiding behind a building in the complex.

“The man being questioned has an air soft gun in his possession,” said Richardson.

Watch this site for updates as more information becomes available from authorities.

17 Responses to "UPDATE: Sheriff’s deputies, canine, catch carjacker in Bonsall"

1. kalookapoo   January 29, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Oh so that’s what all the noise was about.

2. grunt   January 29, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Seems like a fast and successful response from the SO.

3. Cimarron   January 29, 2014 at 6:23 pm

So that’s what it was. I was thinking the bank was being robbed. It’s not often I see so many police with their rifles in hand.

4. mrgskcbd   January 29, 2014 at 6:56 pm

another mastermind crook at work, carjacking someone and then driving west on the only road out from the crime scene. no wonder the cops catch these fools, they give them every chance possible up to calling them and giving their location

5. Lee   January 30, 2014 at 8:24 am

What a crazy, sad and out-of-control world we live in, one in which people commit a wrong.

6. Nopopcorn   January 30, 2014 at 9:13 am

It all came to an end outside our window. The guy was hiding in the dumpster. Cops everywhere, guns drawn, helicopters giving out his description telling everyone to look doors and stay inside. Dogs found him. Cops did a great job, and arrested him without a struggle. He said he was getting out of the sun. Didn’t want to get a sunburn. So dumb. We video’d the whole thing. Young, good looking guy, who messed up his life with really bad decisions.

7. Ray (the real one)   January 30, 2014 at 10:17 am

He just came here for a better vehicle, that`s all.

8. Carrie   January 30, 2014 at 10:57 am

And to think they threw the school into lockdown and scared a bunch of children because of this idiot.

9. Kelly   January 30, 2014 at 11:24 am

Went to pick up my Grandson and Bonsall Elementary just as they were putting school on LOCK DOWN !! Kept us until Police called and said it was safe for all of us to be released. When I got home NOT ONE THING on any news stations ?? WTH ?? Even when we called this morn to find out what was up, NO ONE Knew a Thing !!!! CRAZY to me ! Thank God it was over in about 30 min or so !!

10. What trash   January 30, 2014 at 11:54 am

I wish trash like this would have burned in the fire! What a low life scumbag that needs a gun pointed to his head!

11. FR86   January 30, 2014 at 11:59 am

I’m sure that many of you out there have been approached by people asking for change at a gas station or store parking areas……..the victim in this case did the right thing and let him have his keys once the gun came out.

Good job SD Sheriff in getting this creep!!

I had a couple of drunks pass out recently on the corner where I live, called the sheriff and there were 3 cars there in less than 5 minutes……..

Keep up the great work SD Sheriff Office Fallbrook

12. BonsallGayGuy   January 30, 2014 at 1:54 pm

So this is what kept us from having dinner at the Z Caf

13. Dad   February 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm

The person in the video is my son. I am truly sorry your community had this happen. He was raised in a loving home and taught better. He deserves whatever punishment he gets. Talk to your kids about drugs, once they start sometimes you cant get them to stop no matter how hard you try. I am truly sorry to the man he stole the truck from, you met a shell of the loving human being that once resided inside of him. Maybe know I will be able to find that person again. Thank you San Diego police department for the professionalism you showed. Never thought I would ever witness my son like this.

14. slym   February 5, 2014 at 12:42 pm

To Dad, comment #13. I have to say, I’m impressed with your comment. Wishing you the best of luck getting your son back on the right track.

15. cousin   February 7, 2014 at 10:50 am

The young man in this video is my cousin, and my feelings are the same as his dads…he comes from a loving home and from a family that loves him dearly, and yes, this is what drugs do to a person…we love you Robert, maybe now you will get the help you so dearly need…

16. Find your compassion   February 11, 2014 at 2:04 pm

It is so sad that we all react without compassion. Of course everyone gets scared. I imagine that the dad is so scared for his son. I truly hope that this young man can find his way back, and that this one bad choice doesn’t lead him heading into a direction that as a parent no one wants for a child.

17. Respect   March 2, 2014 at 8:35 am

I really respect this family for their comments. It took courage for them to post on here. I am sure this young guy was raised properly, and just made some bad mistakes. Any man can be a father, but it takes a DAD- to hold his son accountable for his mistakes. Happy the authorities were respectful. The whole situation was stressful for everyone. I am glad that nobody was injured. Hopefully this young man will turn his life around, and get a college education after serving his time. I hope he feels remorse for scaring the owner of the truck.