The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office has reported that the 17-year-old male fatally injured on Fallbrook Street Tues., July 29 has been identified as Alfonso Martinez of Fallbrook. The office also stated the cause of death has been established as the result of an accident.

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the teen was lying in the westbound lane of Fallbrook Street (800 block) about 12:28 a.m. Tuesday morning when a 2004 Honda Civic driven by a 36-year-old Fallbrook man struck the boy.

CHP public information officer Jim Bettencourt said the driver of the vehicle immediately called 911 and stayed on the scene until law enforcement personnel arrived.

Officers said it was “unknown why the pedestrian was lying in the roadway prior to the collision and how he got there. It is still unclear if another vehicle struck the pedestrian prior to the Honda.”

The boy was pronounced dead by responding paramedics.

The Medical Examiner said Martinez’ body sustained blunt force injuries to the head and torso.

Authorities are still investigating the incident and anyone with information about this matter is asked to call the Oceanside CHP office at (760) 757-1675 during normal business hours.

(previous story)

17-year-old Fallbrook boy lying in street hit by driver; cause of fatal injury being investigated

Debbie Ramsey

Managing Editor

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has reported that a 17-year-old Fallbrook boy was hit by a driver shortly after midnight today while the youth was lying in a local street.

CHP public information officer Jim Bettencourt said the incident occurred about 12:28 a.m. in the westbound lane of East Fallbrook Street near Potter St.

“A 2004 Honda Civic driven by a 36-year-old male from Fallbrook struck the pedestrian as he was lying in the road and stayed on scene until law enforcement arrived,” said Bettencourt. “At this time, it is unknown why the pedestrian was lying in the roadway prior to the collision and how he got there. It is still unclear if another vehicle struck the pedestrian prior to the Honda.”

The boy was pronounced dead.

Bettencourt said it is also unknown if drugs or alcohol played a factor in this collision. It remains under investigation.

Anyone with information about this collision is asked to call the Oceanside CHP office at (760) 757-1675 during normal business hours.

48 Responses to "UPDATE: Teen fatally injured on Fallbrook Street identified as Alfonso Martinez, 17"

1. Mimi   July 29, 2014 at 8:45 am

Another news source said that it was unsure whether the victim was alive or dead at the time he was struck. We should await results before determining that the Honda driver caused the death. I pray for the driver and for the family of the young man who died.

2. Fallbrook   July 29, 2014 at 9:06 am

Do you know the name of the boy ?

VILLAGE NEWS: Authorities will not release the name of the boy yet to the media. As soon as we can get reliable information, we will publish it.
    Thank you. —-D. Ramsey

3. Monica   July 29, 2014 at 9:23 am

Prayers to all involved…….

4. called   July 29, 2014 at 9:35 am

I called the coroners office and the boy has not been id and his is hispanic. I asked the race only because i wanted to make sure it wasnt someone i knew.

5. Oh My!   July 29, 2014 at 10:12 am

Prayers to the family of the tean, and the driver. Having a 17 yearold myself. I had to run out of my room to make sure he was ok… so scary. The kids having to say goodbye to another one of thier classmates! Growing up I never had this many classmates die during my high school years. What is going on these days?

6. Very sad.   July 29, 2014 at 10:20 am

My heart goes out to this boy’s family. May God give them the strength that they need to get through this hard time.

7. kma   July 29, 2014 at 10:23 am

Tragic…no matter if it was a body dump, a suicide, or kid compromised by substance abuse. That is a sound the driver of the Honda will NEVER forget…the thump. I heard it when I was about 7 yrs old, while me and my dad were picking out an xmas tree and a drunk was run over in the road in front of the tree lot…you NEVER forget that thud.

8. IBAM   July 29, 2014 at 11:54 am

Prayers go out to this family. R.I. P.

9. Mona Liisa   July 29, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I’m incredibly sorry for the loss of life and for those who must go on without them. I don’t want to come across as callous, but rather realistic, when i state that many in the population of Fallbrook are extremely careless when it comes to being on the road in the dark.

I have come close to hitting many a pedestrian, skateboarder, bicyclist, dog walker in the dark. It scares ME, as a responsible party, when many Fallbrook residents do not care or maybe do not realize what risk they pose. If they don’t care about themselves, I’m afraid they don’t care a whit about the guilt the driver who has hit them will.

I propose we take action the way some European countries have. They have delivered, free of charge, small & medium-sized reflectors to be attached/worn on the back of clothing or shoes. They are also available free of charge at local business. I want something like this to happen in our beautiful Fallbrook. There are far too many dangerous places to walk in Fallbrook at any time!

If there is an interest in something like this happening to help prevent further broken hearts, please let me know.

10. scotty   July 29, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I recall years ago that teenages in the area of Fallbrook that I live in would lay down in the street at dark dressed in black clothinh and then would bounce up just before a vehicle approached to intentionally scare the heck out of the driver. They would then run. I caught one of the boys and gave him what for. That ended the nonsense. Just wondering if this might be the same type of thrill seeking?

11. Fallbrook 73   July 29, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Very sad tragedy. ….Its difficult for any teen who last saw him or was with him come forward when no name has been released. I pray that when that information is given someone can at least come foward with more information.

12. Rob R.   July 29, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I live on Golden Rd. and walk daily on that stretch of Fallbrook St. The intersection has been the scene of many car accidents but this is the first time I’ve heard of a pedestrian being struck and killed. Since I walk at dawn I always carry a flashlight and walk facing the oncoming traffic. Sadly to say, on my walks I have encountered in the past on 2 occasions teenagers who have been passed out near streets but on the sidewalks. After calling 911, In both cases they were determined to be under the influence of some substance. Any teens death is a tragedy and my heart goes out to his family, friends, and classmates. It’s at least good to see that the driver of the Honda did the right thing by stopping to report the accident.

13. Mona Lisa Nash   July 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm

What a tragic and heartbreaking loss. I would like to send my condolences to the child’s family and friends. My thoughts and prayers are with the driver too. Comment #9 by Mona Liisa was not written by me. Apparently, there is another Mona Lisa in town.

14. Brianna   July 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Does anyone know any named yet ?

15. Fallbrook guy   July 29, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Rip young man.

16. IBAM   July 29, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Any updates on this heart wrenching story?

17. Can't believe this   July 29, 2014 at 11:26 pm

RIP Alfonso!! you will be missed ..

18. lalo   July 29, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Rip alfonso martinez

19. Gil H.   July 30, 2014 at 12:14 am

Dang man, i never would of thought that Alfonso Martinez would die this young. R.I.P.

20. Alois   July 30, 2014 at 1:40 am

Junior… His name was junior my sister is his gf best friend and his mother confirmed it

21. unknown   July 30, 2014 at 3:21 am

His name Alfonso Mart

22. jas1039   July 30, 2014 at 4:12 am

This is, of course, a most unfortunate incident, and I offer my condolences to family and friends.
    A point that I want to make is that pedestrians, bicyclists, and others on the street at night should assume that they cannot be seen by automobile drivers. The glare of oncoming headlights, the point direction of headlights as a car turns a corner in an intersection or comes over a hill, and other situations make this very often the case. Know this. Teach your children this. Just because they can clearly see the car headlights does not mean that the driver can see them. As often as not, the driver cannot. Stay on the sidewalk, step off the road, do not cross an intersection when a car approaches at night. Wear white clothing or reflectors, but still assume that you are not seen. Drugs and liquor can be deadly. Better safe than sorry

23. Rerere   July 30, 2014 at 5:34 am

Why was this teen out on his own? Where were the parents, where were his friends? What an awful tragedy, no matter who’s child it is, it is still a tragedy. I am just lost for words here. Sad!!!

24. Lola   July 30, 2014 at 7:59 am

His name is Alfonso Martinez (he was also known as Junior Martinez)

25. Alois   July 30, 2014 at 9:29 am

… Even my mother and sister are broken by this… They have been crying and my sister is yelling at everyone. My sister was a close friend of his

26. Big Richard   July 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

Why is everyone so upset? What was he doing out in the street at MIDNIGHT. Nothing good ever happens after 10. He was obviously not where he was supposed to be since the County of San Diego has set a legal curfew on any persons under the age of 18 years of age.

source: http://www.sandiego.gov/police/services/units/juvenileservices/juvenilelaw.shtml

27. DR DR   July 30, 2014 at 12:45 pm

There are many, many, many streets in Fallbrook that don’t have good lighting and never will, therefore, please, please do not wear black or dark clothing.

No, we can’t see you, jas1039 is correct, just because you can see us does NOT mean we see you.

May his life be an example to others, if nothing else-use common sense. NO DARK CLOTHES, use sidewalks and intersections and not walk across the road when you ‘feel’ like it.

28. Pink   July 30, 2014 at 2:57 pm

That is so true Dr Dr. I almost hit someone on E. Alvarado Street one night, he (or she) was wearing dark clothing plus a dark hoodie and walking against traffic in my lane on a curve. There were no street lights and I saw him just in time to avoid hitting him. Shook me up quite a bit. Please people, if you must walk on a dark street at least wear something white or put reflectors on your shoes. My condolences to the the deceased boy’s family. I also feel for the driver of the Honda. It was not his fault.

29. ignorants   July 30, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Where does it say he was wearing all black ? Why did people start mentioning about him wearing all black ? It sounds more like he had already been laying there dead, and the driver wasn’t paying attention, or didn’t see him. But anyways the point here is that they should get more lights in town, I’m sure there’s a better reason than why he died not just cause he got hit by a car.

VILLAGE NEWS NOTE: Please don’t list everything that “could” have happened – including acts of violence – none of those have been substantiated. It leads people to believe things that may not be true. We can only go on what authorities tell us about the Medical Examiner’s results of their review of the body. Thank you. D. Ramsey

30. DOCUSNR   July 30, 2014 at 4:33 pm

People drive too fast in Fallbrook,you will not see Sheriff’s Department giving tickets for speeding on Reche Rd or anywhere else in Fallbrook,You will however see the San Diego deputies sitting in coffee shops,etc…
    I complained about speeding on my street, only to be told to call CHP.
    May this young man Rest In Peace.

31. Fallbrook guy   July 30, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Can anyone post a link to his facebook? I want to see if it’s the same person that lives in the same apt complex as I do.

32. momz   July 30, 2014 at 8:53 pm

My condolences to this young mans family and friends. I see this all the time with kids riding/skateboarding and walking right in front of me while I am driving. I have come across some kids that think they own the road, and I’m not intending that this is what the young man was thinking, but parents remind your kids/ young adults that it can happen to them and vehicles are weapons, best to be safe then sorry. I feel for the driver of the Honda, may he have strength during this tragic time. I would not know how I would feel if I was in that situation.

33. Tony V   July 31, 2014 at 8:30 am

God bless Alfonso and the Martinez family. So horrible. I have a 17 year old as well and am going to make sure he reads this article. I hope he was not alone when this happened. Its time for friends to speak up! I think there is more to this than meets the eye, but now is time for prayers and help to family and driver.

34. Kurt   July 31, 2014 at 9:24 am

Through Your Tears.

35. marcy   July 31, 2014 at 9:58 am

Wow. How sad. I know his family pretty well since his cousin is my ex brother in law. I went to school with him and i considered him one of my cousins as well. Wow. I just … wow how tragic. My heart goes out to their whole family.

36. Re #30   July 31, 2014 at 10:48 am

It’s not always the drivers fault. The kids are not taught the proper ways to act in public sometimes. As one commenter states, parents should teach their children the dangers that are out in the streets. Maybe spend more time teaching your children, then worrying about some of the more unimportant issues that are dealt with more often. Kids actions and attitudes reflect his or her parents. I feel for the driver, how awful his nightmares will be.

37. AFV   July 31, 2014 at 11:10 am

Fallbrook needs more crosswalks and sidewalks for pedestrians.

Fallbrook also needs more bike lanes.

38. Fallbrook resident   August 1, 2014 at 9:12 am

I agree this boy could not have been alone someone must have been with him previously and know at least something. More investigations need to be done and the mother needs to be updated. She too is clueless as to what happened. My deepest condolenscenes go out to the family and "friends". If you were his real friend you would speak up and support the family

39. Friends and family   August 1, 2014 at 9:21 am

If anyone can help with his funeral please go online to http://www.gofundme.com/cehcug we need to raise about $7,000 anything will help thank you

40. Fallbrookmommy   August 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm

They will be having a fundraiser sale this weekend at 1291 Alturas ln proceeds are for his funeral. This is truly a great loss. Fallbrook needs to stick together, anything helps. They will be selling food and household items.

41. I new him he was my cuzzin   August 1, 2014 at 3:43 pm

He was a nice persen he was ganna be a 12 grader diss year

42. grunt   August 1, 2014 at 3:50 pm

He was 17, no school the next night; I can think of several legitimate reasons why he was out at midnight. Lets give the boy a break until. unless, we learn something negative. For right now all we know is that this boy was hit; and that a family is in pain.

43. Liveoakparker   August 1, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Fallbrook doesn’t need more sidewalks, crosswalks, bike lanes, etc. Move to the city if you need that. I’m sure the kid knew the dangers of cars. By the time you’re 17 you better know it. Something else happened, if you read the article he was lying in the street.

44. Pink   August 1, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I will stop by the Alturas address to drop off my contribution. God bless his family and friends at this tragic time.

45. Brianna Mendoza   August 1, 2014 at 10:40 pm

We are going to have a car was on Sunday August 10 for donations towards the funeral expenses of Alfonso Martinez if anyone could come and help it’s going to be in fallbrook here’s the address 138 S Main Ave, Fallbrook, CA 92028 any questions message me on facebook @ brianna solis thank you

46. FLORESBOYZ   August 3, 2014 at 12:25 am

R.I.P Junior Much Love & Respect From Your Boyz..You Will Be Missed.!!

47. hjk   August 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

anybody else hear he got stabbed and then just dropped off on the street?

***VILLAGE NEWS – Authorities have not said this was the case.

48. hjk   August 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I know they haven’t said that was the case that’s just been the rumor going around