See more photos of these volunteers making a difference at local schools in the next issue (August 22) of the Village News.

14 Responses to "Volunteers clean up Fallbrook High and Sulllivan Middle School for San Diego County School Beautification Day, Sat., Aug. 17"

1. Reality Checker   August 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Hey, how’s this for an idea…. GET THE STUDENTS THAT MADE THE MESS, take them to the school and MAKE THEM clean up their own mess? They can volunteer, I mean they can be "voluntold" to put some of their own elbow grease into taking care of school property. Maybe they might appreciate what they have a little more, and won’t be so careless about how they treat it. It’s a good lesson in responsibility and accountability. Screw the political correctness. Just do it.

2. diana   August 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

If we dropped gum on the floor we had to pick it up. What about the kids on thursday school or sat school.

3. agree 100% with #1   August 19, 2013 at 10:08 am

They should take half a day or full day (to do "cleaning" of the messes) and do this with the entire school. If steam machines are not readily available, they can scrape the gum off. It wont hurt them. Like Reality Checker said, it will teach them responsibility and accountability. I like your idea Reality Checker!

4. ERIN   August 19, 2013 at 10:11 am

In the past the high school has made students who were caught littering pick up trash during their nutrition and lunch break. Only to have the ACLU treaten the high school with litgation on behalf of the student for civil rights violations and demoralizing character.

5. Check it out   August 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm

The ACLU is actually the worst thing that has ever happened to this country.

6. Disgusted   August 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

One of the main reasons I don’t want my kids going there, is it is so dirty! What the heck? I’m not from here so I don’t know. Was it always like this? What’s the deal with the girls locker room, by the pool? Do they really use it during the school year? I’m there for NJB games and am embarassed by how littered the walkways are by the gym. What happened to school pride????

7. diana   August 19, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I so agree with "check it out "

8. Preston   August 20, 2013 at 7:39 am

When we agreed to give up the control (and discipline) of our children we gave them the trump card and they are not mature enough to understand the ramifications of its use.
    When you continually clean up your child’s mess what do you think will happen down the road?

9. Lee   August 20, 2013 at 9:37 pm

@ #1 Reality Checker

I agree with you 100%!

10. Wow   August 22, 2013 at 11:57 am

So we don’t have one teen in town to help fix the mess they created? We are stuck on stupid. First day of class should have been mandatory clean up by each and every student.

11. warriors class of 15   August 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I didn’t make the mess I’m not going to clean it up. I’m no more responsible than any of you guys and I don’t see any of you old peeps down there scrping gum of the sidewalks. I’m not your slave!

12. Check it out   August 22, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Regarding comment #15. So speaks the voice of the future of this country. We are toast.

Where are his/her parents.
    Who brought him/her up.
    Parents have evidently bowed out.

13. warriors....   August 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Where are your parents?
    Who brought you up?
    Parents have evidently checked out.

So check this out old dude, interrogative sentences are generally ended in a question mark. Again why do YOU think I should be responsible for cleaning up other people’s mess? I throw my gum into the garbage. I’m no more responsible for that stuff all over the sidewalk than you are. The difference is I’m not pointing my gnarly old bony finger at somebody else expecting them to do jump to my beat. I’m too busy earning straight A’s, sucker!

14. Seriously??   August 22, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Yes comment #13, and you have some excellent manners. In case you didn’t notice, it was "older" members of the community out there cleaning up the mess made by your peers.

Our parents brought us up to respect our elders. You, on the other hand, are a spoiled rotten little brat. Good grades are nice, but if you go out into the real world with an attitude like that you probably end up cleaning up other peoples messes for a living.