A dear man needs a new scooter

I work at The Main Place, here in Fallbrook. I’m writing because there is a man in our community that most of us know and love. His name is Roland Grote.

For many years, rain or shine, Roland leaves his home in the evening and rides his bike to Happy Jug liquor store and helps the ladies with their closing chores. After they are to their cars safely, he comes to our bar and does the same for us. He has never been paid and only asks for a diet soda in return. This is done purely and unselfishly, out of love and friendship and he takes his job very seriously.

He used to have a battery-operated scooter that made his trip a little easier, but it has broken beyond repair. Now he rides his bike but it takes him almost two hours to get home and it’s hard on his knees going up Fallbrook Street.

I think we, as a community, should return all the love and friendship Roland has shown us and get him a new scooter.

The cost for a nice new scooter is about $750, or if someone has a good used one to donate, we could use cash donations to fix it up in tip-top shape for him.

We have created a donation fund at The Main Place bar and all money will be kept safely until used for the scooter.

This is a good man and if anyone deserves our community’s kindness, Roland does. Thank you.

Dorian Peters

7 Responses to "A dear man needs a new scooter"

1. supernatural   September 5, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Roland is the man you see late at night slowly riding his bike around. He lives with family at Reche and Stage Coach, and rides with a reflective vest (or, more accurately, mostly walks) from there into town after dark every night, seeking work (which he does without pay). If he’s gotten to where he needs a scooter to get around, I think it would be money well spent to get him one. I plan to put my money where my mouth is. How’s about you?

2. Pink   September 6, 2013 at 8:08 am

Absolutely. I see Roland (Rolly) at church every week. He is the nicest, sweetest man.

3. Townie   September 6, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’ve known Roland for a long time. He has always been so genuine and kind. Ive never herd a sour thing come out of his mouth! Hes always smiling and has some kind of story to tell you after greeting you warmly. Honestly, if anyone deserves some kind of charity donation from this town, its him, he is my top candidate! Everyone always speaks so nicely of him! what a wonderful man! how can we make his life easier?! where is the jar? where do I donate my money!! haha please post when and where the donations will begin i know many would love to donate as well as fellow patrons at the main and happy jug!
    thank you for this warmhearted idea!!!

4. Dorian   September 6, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I’m the one who wrote the article. I wanted to update. I only need about $210 more to accomplish our goal. Donations are being accepted at main place. Thank you all who have been so generous so far. Xxoo

5. Joemamma   September 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

I see him @ Stage Coach and Reche every night @ 8:45 like clock work. I always wondered what he was doing.

6. Old Baseball   September 9, 2013 at 7:45 am

Think I’ll make a trip over to The Main Place to help Ole Roland Out……He is A Fallbrook Treasure

7. Old Baseball   September 9, 2013 at 7:48 am

Roland is a Fallbrook Treasure. Be glad to help out.