How to visit Camp Pendleton

Over the past few weeks, the main gate of Camp Pendleton has experienced an increase of visitors desiring to patronize certain establishments aboard base. Due to security measures, civilians are permitted aboard base when sponsored by a Department of Defense Identification Card holder or under the guidelines of the Sponsored Visitor Program located in the link below:

Thank you for your continued support of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Marine Corps Installations West – Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton Public Affairs

7 Responses to "How to visit Camp Pendleton"

1. Ray (the real one)   June 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Already have my "fast pass" for 32nd Street Naval Base. Question…. Can vendors with DOD approval also access the NEX and such to purchase with their "fast pass"?

2. Pink   June 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

It is my belief that you cannot purchase anything at either the commissary or MCX unless you have a valid military or dependent ID. At least I always have to show mine.

3. Enrique   June 21, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Armed Services Exchange Regulations, DODI 1330.21, Enclosure 6, details authorized patronage for NEX facilities. Patronage is limited to active duty and retired military members and their dependents (as noted on their ID cards).

I’ve noticed from reading your posts Ray that you have a slight tendency to embellish. There is no such thing as a fast pass. If in fact you have access to 32nd Street, it is via a Rapid Gate Card.

4. Ray (the real one)   June 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Enrique: Although I lost my military ID many years ago and trying to get my new one, it’s called a RapidGate pass, sorry for the wrong terminology. Different military today. My question is until I get or find my old ID, does it authorize purchases at the NEX?

My credentials are "kosher".

I’m only a contractor as of now.

5. Ray (the real one)   June 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm

It’s kind of wierd working on a military base after all these years, some of the stuff these personnel do would have cost me "stripes" back in my time. I really try to cut them some slack due to their service to our country but I do draw the line to underage drinking, having relations in cars, and unauthorized entereries. They are good kids, trying to blow off the stress of deployment and I really understand their situations, maybe that is why I get repremanded so much for being too easy…. oh well. I did my (8) years, different military today.

6. Seriously   June 23, 2012 at 7:10 am

Ray, after reading a lot of your posts, I’m guessing you are older than I am, and even back when I was in the military over 20 years ago the drinking age at a lot of bases was 18 (Camp Pendleton was 18 up until the mid 90’s I believe). This makes your point about underage drinking kind of moot since we were actually ALLOWED to do it – we infantalize young adults nowadays, and some of these "underage" drinkers have been on several war zone deployments. They can kill/be killed for us but not have a beer, which shows our serious mental issues as a country.

Relations in cars and unauthorized "entereries"? What? I’m on Pendleton a lot and have no idea what you’re talking about.

There is nothing different about what goes on with young people in the military today from the way we acted years ago, even though every generation thinks there’s something wrong with the next.

7. haha   June 26, 2012 at 11:58 am

Suprised you didn’t know the answer to your own question Ray. Thats a first. Thank you Enrique. I thought I was the only one that thinks "ray" embelishes.