Proposition 13 under assault in Sacramento

While tax dollars are necessary to fund vital public services such as education, public safety and highways, Californians have long experienced excessive taxation. Today, our sales tax and marginal income tax rates are the highest in the country. This level of taxation is a heavy burden on families, businesses and individuals alike.

In 1978, an overwhelming majority of the voters passed Proposition 13 in an effort to end the system of annual increases in property taxes based on re-assessed property value. I will not support proposals that in any way diminish Prop. 13’s effectiveness as one of the last remaining tools protecting California taxpayers.

Unfortunately, this session, a number of bills that threaten to undermine Prop. 13, including Assembly Constitutional Amendment 8, have been introduced in Sacramento. ACA 8 would lower the two-thirds vote threshold, currently required for local jurisdictions to incur bonded indebtedness and increase taxes, to 55 percent. Despite my “no” vote, ACA 8 passed the Assembly on June 15 and has been forwarded to the Senate.

Raising taxes will be counterproductive; it will drive job creating businesses away, slow prospects for economic recovery and hinder the future prosperity of all Californians.

During my term in the California Assembly, I will continue to stand firm in my opposition to any legislation that undermines Proposition 13.

Assemblymember Waldron’s office is located in Escondido; phone (760) 480-7570.

8 Responses to "Proposition 13 under assault in Sacramento"

1. Preston   July 5, 2013 at 7:41 am

I believe all property owners should be taxed equally and the rate of the Property tax should be based on service provided. The system we have now favors those that have not sold and repurchased. There are many other flaws — For example there is no consideration for those that maintain their own roads, and what is with this guarantee of a 2% increase per year which they take regardless of the economy and if you do appeal and get a reduction I doubt the average tax payer understands the ramifications of Proposition 8. It is time to throw out Prop 13 and 8 and start all over with a tax that is fair and does not target those that spend more on their home.

2. Check it out   July 5, 2013 at 10:24 am

If Prop 13 is over turned thousands of senior citizens will lose their homes. People on a fixed income cannot afford to pay $10,000 a year and more on property taxes, many are barely holding on to their homes as it is. The repeal of Prop 13 will just cause more homes to go into foreclosure and what good will hundreds of thousands of older homes, many in need of repair, do the state of California if they suddenly have them on their hands for defaulted property taxes? I agree that something needs to be done about the high cost of property taxes but repealing a law that the people already voted on and making more people homeless isn’t the way.

3. FALLBROOK 101   July 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Nevada see you in 17 months the heat is nothing compared as what`s here and what`s on its way to TAXIFORNIA increased water rates, SDG&E rate increase, gas tax increase,so on and so on .

4. Enough already   July 10, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Here is the history of why the 2/3 rule was implement and why it is still important today.

Here is the the score card on how California stacks up to the other 49 states
    Note how despite higher taxes, California is failing in almost all areas.

This explains why businesses are leaving California at a rate 67.7% higher than the second worst State (Kansas).

Only fools think raising taxes are going to make things better.

5. Lee   July 11, 2013 at 9:19 am

Enough is enough is enough is enough with taxation! You and I are NOT a limitless supply of money!

When a person receives $1 from another person and believes that this $1 was sufficient for the task at hand, yet realizes that it was not after the fact, then the solution is NOT to go back to the "lender" and ask for an additional 10 cents.

Enough is enough is enough with taxation! The solution is NOT to suck more money out of us; the solution is for the receiver of our tax dollars to budget this money wisely and properly!

Folks, PLEASE vote down ANY and EVERY tax proposal, tax initiative, tax hike, etc.! ALL of them!

6. @Lee   July 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

It’s too late, Obama willingly and knowingly ‘gave’ billions of dollars away to banks, auto industries, insurance companies, energy companies and on and on and on and on…. we did not get to vote… he did it because he ‘could’. We are going to pay higher taxes, as that is the only way to return the monies….fortunately, he stopped ‘printing’ more green-backs. We and the next generations will pay for his "I need votes greed". (2012 campaign).

7. Mom of lots   July 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Property taxes are unconstitutional and make the local government the true owner and authority of one’s property. If you stop paying property taxes ("lease fees"), "your" property rights are taken away. I find property taxes absurd and the government wasteful. Figure out how to work with the sales tax and stop wasting my money. Mortgages are a great way to hide how much you are forking out every year for these taxes. They "hide" in your monthly mortgage and one is just happy to "make the payment". "As long as I can afford my monthly payment, I don’t care." We own our home and it makes my blood boil every time I write that chunk of a check out, especially because I homeschool and do not receive a tax write off for the supplies, books and resources I use to teach my children. The whole things a heist.

8. Leaving   July 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Marie Waldron is new and likely doesn’t realize that there is nothing she or the Republicans can do to stop this taxing and regulation train wreck striking Califonria. I have never seen in America a more oppressive government than what has been coming out of Sacramento. Liberal activists work their entire lives to gain authority in this state bringing their whacky agendas with them. Unfortunately, California voters are either too complacent or too dumb to figure out what their government is doing to them and their future. It is by