Re: “Are we better off than four years ago?” [Letter, Village News, 9-13-12]

The use of job creation numbers in Democratic vs. Republican administrations over the last 50 years to justify the abysmal performance of our current administration is a deception. To have any meaning it is necessary to examine the circumstances of each administration. For example, nearly half of all jobs created during Democratic administrations were with Clinton. Give him credit; he was astute enough to not disrupt the dynamic economy started by Reagan.

What is needed is an honest evaluation of what is happening now. And by any rational standard, the performance of Pres. Obama is poor at best.

This election is Romney’s to lose, not Obama’s to “win.” And the behind the scene Republican advisors (strategists?) appear to be determined to lose it.

Over many years I have come to the conclusion that these so called “managers” are unknowing and they continue to prove me right.

Romney has demonstrated management skills, something Obama cannot claim. And I am sure Romney would do a better job of managing our complex government organization.

And Bernanke is either terribly misguided or being directed by our President to keep pouring more money into the system. It’s a band aid that pushes off the need to be fiscally responsible. It didn’t work with QE2 and it won’t work with QE3. The consequences will take some time, but when they come, watch out.

Glen Holzhausen

22 Responses to "Re: “Are we better off than four years ago?” [Letter, Village News, 9-13-12]"

1. simple answer   September 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm

All Obama has proven is that he can pull the wool over the American people’s eyes. The simple answer is WE ARE NOT BETTER OFF THAN WE WERE FOUR YEARS AGO. WHAT A FREAKING MESS.

2. Jon Monday   September 28, 2012 at 2:46 am

See my answer at http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/66629/

As Bill Maher says, when he wakes up in the morning and his shorts are not soiled, he’s doing better than he was in 2008.

Do you really not remember people flooding to the banks to take out their money, or credit markets completely frozen, stock market crashing. The 1929 crash took over 3 or 4 years to hit bottom, and over 10 years to recover.

The problem with many Americans is that they have no long-term memory. If you really can’t remember what it felt like in 2008, you will probably welcome the policies that got us there, which Romney hold dear. Lower taxes (mostly for the wealthy) and deregulate Wall Street – a proven recipe for a bubble/crash.

3. Carolyn Armbrust Mathes   September 28, 2012 at 10:39 am

If you judge how well off you are by whether your shorts are soiled or not every morning, you are still in serious do-do.

4. LoL   September 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Woohoo! You know, I don

5. Jonathan   September 28, 2012 at 4:55 pm

If Jon Monday responds in the matter above about Bill Maher and his shorts, this country is indeed in big trouble. Who is this guy anyway?

6. Pat   September 30, 2012 at 11:33 am

Never have we witnessed such a drastic decline of the American Spirit as we have the past 3 years..The slaughter of our Ambasador in Libya was not blamed on the terrorist attack that it was(HELLO??It was on 9/11 and reports from white house have confirmed that the WH had prior knowledge of an attack by radical muslims..YET the WH blames it on some DumA** movie trailor that NOONE has seen..Hillary CLinton goes to see THE BOOK OF MORMON..a play that MOCKS the Mormans and was quoted as enjoying it and laughing alot..SO its OK to MOCK a religion such as Mormonism yet the murders are blamed because some yahoo makes a movie "mocking the Allah?" somethings very wrong here..and BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA still cannot say from his mouth that it was AlQuida…wow really!!!??? do we need another 4 years of steady decline and Joe Biden?? PLEASE NO!!!

7. Concerned Senior   September 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I remember 2008. Monday won’t understand this but most of you will remember it…………

This woman remembers 2008……………

8. Jonathan   October 1, 2012 at 7:40 am

@concerned senior – excellent video and maybe this will show Monday and his ilk that Obama is nothing more than the biggest bs’er in world history.

9. Mike W   October 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

The videos are just more low IQ right wing sound bites to promote their ideologies of nonsense, especially the last one which was a joke and obviously not done 4 years apart, but all on the same day.. Yikes !! Is this all you can come up with ??
    The super right wing Daily Caller is a news and opinion website based in Washington, D.C., founded by conservative commentator Tucker Carlson and Republican politician Neil Patel, former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney.

Comment 8 "The devastation he has caused"

Give me a break will ya ? The real devastation was set in motion long before 2008 and there is more to come no matter who wins the election

The real foreign and domestic movers and shakers of this country, its economy and its foreign policy remain in place no matter who or how many times someone is elected. The sooner you yahoo’s understand that, the sooner this country can stop it’s silly infighting and move on to a true bipartisan effort to turn this country around. If that is what you really want…

The following is a video that will introduce you to ALEC Do yourself and everyone else a favor and find out about The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) Where corporate hacks wrote over 850 of our bills to make their life easier and ours harder. Bills to change the law to make it harder to vote, bills to make it hard for unions, bills to deny climate change you name it, it’s all right here in the link below or just Googe ALEC

10. Say no to B.O.   October 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

Obama hasn’t passed a budget since he has been in office. Medicare is going the way of Greece and you want to hitch your wagon to Obama who can’t find his way out of wet paper bag?!? He has lied repeatedly over the last 4 years. Where are the jobs? Answer: Bush’s fault. Where are the deficit cuts? Answer: Bush’s fault. Where is all of the money spent on stimulus? Ohhh, that didn’t work out so well….Bush’s fault. I would very much doubt that people in their normal everyday lives would think highly of someone who never takes responsibility for anything. Why do you idiots give this man a free pass! He will go down as one of the worst Presidents in American history. Let’s just keep beating our heads against the wall expecting a different result. Insanity!!! Obama tried and failed miserably…..next!!!

11. still laughing   October 2, 2012 at 8:26 am

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous when people post UTUBE videos as EXPERT???

12. Jer   October 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm

No #11, but it emanates from a bong-watered stream of unconsciousness for the next stereotypical hippie talking point to trot out (even if it

13. ABC   October 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

at 8 "The devastation he has caused across the American land is unprecedented in history."

Hyperbole doesn’t make up for the fact that Romney has no plan. At least any plan other than cut taxes for our nation’s poor, down-trodden super wealthy.

14. Redneck Bill   October 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hey Jer,

You’ve told me enough times in the past that I’m not smart enough to post here so I should know better.

But I was wondering if you noticed that #7 Concerned Senior posted a link to youtube as well? I know that’s different from Mike doing the exact same thing, but being the dummy you so clearly see I am, can you help me out with HOW it’s different.

Oh yeah, thanks bro.

15. Jer   October 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm

(Bugging his eyes out, and tugging on his collar)

16. Mike W   October 4, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I watched the "Extended" debate with Linda Goodman at Democracy Now on Free Speech TV, which not only covered the debate but gave an opportunity to the Third Party delegates to provide their own input, which was very refreshing. Romney went on and on that he is going to do this and that after he is elected, If I had a nickel for every promise a politician made, I wouldn’t be here writing this. I have to admit, Romney is a smooth as silk lier, who now has all the fact checkers working overtime… Guess I’ll stick with the "We will" underdog here rather than the "I will" professional lier.. Although I really did like the third party people who both spoke my language.

Governor Mitt Romney’s most blatant inaccuracy was his repeated accusation that Obama doubled the federal deficit. That’s not true; the annual deficit was $1.2 trillion when Obama took office, roughly the same as it is today. Romney was correct, however, in stating that Obama has not fulfilled his campaign pledge to cut the deficit in half, however that is in large part due to the fact that Republicans in Congress blocked Obama

17. Redneck Bill   October 4, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Exactly 4 years ago today George Bush was president. So yes, I am most definitely better off.

Being part of a military family, one of my greatest concerns is the manner in which our military forces are deployed. Having a president who thinks God tells him to go invade a country is not my idea of prudent leadership.

The black man has withdrawn from the insanity of Iraq, and is winding down the untenable situation of Afghanistan. All this without a birth certificate, no less.

My reading leads me to believe the economy was in deep kimshee before Obama got there, and the policies and regulations that were in place helped foster the situation we now deal with.

But I realize the vast majority of the good folks of Fallbrook see things differently. My personal opinion will continue to be that y’all just can’t handle a black man as president. I’m more interested in the content of his character. And the fact that he cares about the least of us tells me all I need to know about him.

18. Really?   October 5, 2012 at 11:46 am

Weird how we get a black president and now the exact same positions conservatives always had on taxes and health care are now racist. Racism used to involve slavery and lynching. Now it involves a president getting yelled at when he wastes trillions of dollars. Inability to think beyond racism, is racism. Inability to defend policies is lack of critical thinking. . It

19. justwondering   October 6, 2012 at 8:26 am

Locally..ask all the businesses that are closing in Fallbrook if they are better off now?

20. Mike W   October 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Comment 19 ~ Try looking a little deeper, seems you can’t see the forest for the trees, all you see is times are tuff and you blame the first thing that comes to mind and eye and therefore get it wrong. What you should see is that offshore production and jobs outsourcing are destroying the American middle class, all policies Romney will continue.

Our local businesses fail because nobody wants to spend what they don’t have and you and yours continue to support the bush tax cuts for those who don’t need it, by a man who hid behind "freedom and democracy" to wage wars of naked aggression, just as he hid behind supply-side economics in order to reward his very rich cronies.

We need to move on, correct the errors, tax the rich as before, support local production, jobs and goods and save money by cutting out the middleman, such as private central banks and insurance companies and cutting so called "Defense" spending, which we all know by now has nothing to do with defense of the American people.

21. Lol   October 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

Oh, now I get it: racist! = holding Liberals and/or Democrats to the same standards as everyone else.

Someone’s been watching a little too much Rachel Madcow.

22. justwondering   October 18, 2012 at 8:04 am

Mike W..when are you gonna quit blaming BUSH??I suppose HE is to blame about the MURDER and coverup in LIBYA??? BUSH BUSH BUSH..its time you quit blaming BUSH..you remind me of someone who divorced his spouse 4 years ago but cant move on and still blames everything negative on the EX..you cant take responsibility for YOUR actions..sad..Start owning and quit blaming..and FRIEND(and UNCLE JOE SAYS) I do shop Fallbrook..thats how I know things are closing,FRIEND!!