Re: ‘Are we better off than four years ago?’ [Letter, Village News, 9/13/12]

As always Mr. Monday, your comments are a treasure.

As a country, are we better off than we were four years ago? Let’s see:

Our president, beginning in January 2008, has presided over the following:

Over 8 percent unemployment for 4 straight years

An international credit downgrade last year for the first time in our history

A national debt that has skyrocketed to $16T this year from $10T in 2008

Squandered $800B+ on a failed stimulus plan

Mr. Frank and Mr. Dodd caused the greatest housing crisis in our history

Our reputation as a world leader has been seriously compromised

Created a loathsome class warfare

Tried to “muscle” the Catholic Church to accept abortion and contraception at taxpayer expense

In addition, the value of family households has plummeted by 40 percent – $126K (2007) vs $77K (2010); the number of people on food stamps has risen from 27M (2008) to 71M (2012); the number of people on SS disability has risen from 8.1M (2007) to 9.8M (2012); the cost of welfare has jumped from $500B (2008) to $820B (2012) and there’s been an increase in the poverty rate from 12.3 percent (2008) to 15.1% (2010) – the highest level in 20 years. But as you say – I’m sure it’s all Bush’s fault!

I’m also sure you Dems are busy watching the slowing of the ocean’s rise and the planet healing, but take off a few minutes and read a newspaper.

Tom Conley

27 Responses to "Re: ‘Are we better off than four years ago?’ [Letter, Village News, 9/13/12]"

1. Jon Monday   September 28, 2012 at 2:31 am

Hi Tom,

To say the least, you got a couple of facts wrong.

You said, "Our president, beginning in January 2008, has presided over the following

2. Pat   September 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

"You can

3. Mike W   September 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oh there you go again Jon Monday, trying to prove your point of view with calm, rational, verifiable information from honest, time consuming research, in a town and country where silly innuendos, half truths and outright lies reign supreme. Get a grip will ya ? lol… I love ya man, and I know I am not the only one here who appreciates your efforts to speak the truth in the face of such nasty, arrogant and ignorant accusations they throw at you here fro time to time. Please, keep on keepin on…

I was impressed with the way Obama ran such a clean campaign back when he was running for the nomination, even when even Hillary resorted to lies and the lowlife mudslinging of the GOP, and again when he ran for president. It’s called integrity.
    I do not agree with, nor do I understand many of his moves but I am still impressed with what he "has" done, especially in the face of such lack of support and so much opposition from his own countrymen.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I believe he can and will use the knowledge he has gained from his last 4 years and his mistakes so far, to make bigger strides to help this country in his last four years. "if" we will stand up to our own responsibilities as Americans and get out there and make him do it by forming many strong grass roots organizations to help him push against corporate special interests and towards "our" needs during these trying times.
    I thought everybody knew that complaining and mudslinging does nothing except extend our grief…

I may be wrong but I think it was FDR who, when approached by some citizens offering good ideas, said, "I think that is a great idea, now go out there and make me do it."

I think what he was saying was that even the president can not do some things he would like to do for this country, without our help.

P.S. For those of you protest voters who are not satisfied with Obama but would never vote for somebody like Romney. You do know this presidential race is between Obama and Romney, no one else is able to win, no matter how good a person they may be. You must know that voting for anyone other than Obama is as good as a vote for Romney and the new-conservatives hanging on his coattails who nearly tanked this country eight years ago… Think about it, Do you really want a snake in the grass like Karl Rove and friends in the white house again, pushing for war with Iran?
    And another thing to think about for those of you who think Obama has no experience, He will have the experience of the last four years that Romney does not have. That’s saying quite a bit when you "Think about it"

4. Vicki   September 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Excuses aren’t change. Vote Obama out. Disgrace shouldn’t last another 4 years

5. Mike W   September 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Good thinking Vicki. How could anyone who knows where we were and where we were headed 4 years ago, and the speed we were traveling in that direction, could assume that one man could overcome that inertia and bring this nation back on course and flying right in just 4 years. This is a world wide situation, please show me a country that has, except Iceland
    I’m pretty sure we all know that even a team of devoted scientist, scholars and geniuses couldn’t do that. So go ahead and blame the president but you should also blame all the presidents men and ourselves.

Unfortunately, things of such magnitude like our economy and climate change will take a lot of time to correct, how long will it take us to get back to the air quality we had 40 years ago or even 20. Get real will ya ? I’m sure we all can see the relationship between our health and our atmosphere
    The only disgrace I see is the barrage of half truths and lies coming from the right flooding the airways. There are phone banks working for Romney calling old folks telling them that Obama is gonna take away their Medicare, social security, turn the nation socialist and, by the way, he’s a Muslim… Yikes !!!
    Saying that the right has been against Obama since day one is no excuse and wasn’t to be, it is a "fact" to be considered, nothing more.

P.S. July was the hottest month ever recorded in the Lower 48 states, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced on Wednesday. Last month broke a record set during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, according to records that go back to 1895.

"Call me a converted skeptic," Richard Muller wrote in a July 30 op-ed published by The New York Times. In a turnabout last year, the UC Berkley physics professor concluded that global warming was, in fact, occurring. Now, he wrote, "I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause." NASA’s James Hansen also recently confessed error. "When I testified before the Senate in the hot summer of 1988, I warned of the kind of future that climate change would bring to us and our planet. I painted a grim picture of the consequences of steadily increasing temperatures, driven by mankind’s use of fossil fuels. But I have a confession to make," Hansen admitted in The Washington Post. "I was too optimistic. My projections about increasing global temperature have been proved true. But I failed to fully explore how quickly that average rise would drive an increase in extreme weather."

6. Pink   September 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

President Ronald Reagan cleaned up an even bigger mess created by Jimmy Carter back in 1980 AND he did it in only 31/2 years! It has been 4 years for Obama and he hasn’t even made a dent in the mess we are in today…. he promised things would be better, instead they are much worse. He now says he needs more time because nobody could have done it in 4 years…. really? I wonder how much of Hillary’s debt the DNC had to promise to pay off in order to get Bill Clinton to make that gag making speech at the convention. I mean we all know what a good liar Bill is ("I did not have sex with that woman") but I’ll bet even he had to go throw up after he spoke. I don’t doubt that lots of people want to believe Obama, and lots more keep hoping they will get that hand-out but if he gets re-elected our country will be a lot worse off in 4 more years then it is now (if that’s even possible).

7. Biden- ism #356   October 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Today our joe proclaimed that"the middle class has "been burried for the past 4 years!!" Doesnt Joe know that he and his buddy have been in command for the past 4 years?? hahahaha

8. Mike W   October 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

Pink, "President Ronald Reagan cleaned up an even bigger mess created by Jimmy Carter back in 1980, AND he did it in only 31/2 years!"

I don’t think there is a time in history when the the US and the world has been in a bigger mess than we are today Pink, and I don’t think we will ever work our way out of it by blaming one man and not the system itself and those who promote it.

Ask yourself why George Bush and Dick Cheney cannot leave the county for fear of being arrested for crimes against humanity …
    Ask why our government/system has a long history of supporting dictators and corrupt regimes that oppress their people and then turn around and murder those puppets when they become unwilling to play by the rules of the dollar and central banking.
    Ask why our media is bent on promoting half truths and lies, scare tactics and vilifying Muslims while supporting a country engaged in the theft of ancestral land and the ethnic cleansing of its rightful owners.
    Ask why we are paying for the construction and maintenance of over 800 manned military bases around the world (just since 9/11) who’s only purpose is to protect multinational business interests that do not pay us back in kind, never have and never will.
    Ask why business leaders and certain members of congress are permitted to write bills and establish laws in secret closed sessions that favor multinational business interests rather than the American people or the country we live in.

Changing presidents will not change much of anything, never has and never will. But looking at the whole system with eyes wide open and using common sense, just might.
    Question, and take the time to find the answers to all your questions, instead of relying on the system to entertain you with a lie …

Austerity doesn

9. Really?   October 3, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I

10. stilljustwondering   October 3, 2012 at 7:34 pm

MikeW..the article you posted is from commonsense CONSPIRACY.a journal not unlike the national enquirer for politicos…He travels extensivel out of the US..he just doesnt tell YOU his travel plans!!!

11. Tom Conley   October 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Mr. Monday – thanks for the epic response but I don’t neeed your detailed explanation of the economy. Some people on the wicked right actually have a grasp of what’s happening in the financial world.
    Let me speak with some candor. I don’t like Barak Hussein Obama. My reasons are legion but I will list just a few:
    Anyone who claims on his inauguration that the ocean’s tides will slow in rising and the planet will begin to heal is an egomaniac who thinks of himself as divinity. In fact, he’s a cheap political hack who came out of the most corrupt political system in the country. His disgraceful tribute to Neil Armstrong and his constant crowing about how he so courageously took out OBL are testimony to my comment.
    Appointing 30+ czars to his staff and the use of 900+ executive orders during his tenure are proof he doesn’t want to deal with Congress.
    His comments about our flag and national anthem indicate he doesn’t really understand or support this country or its history. His comments about the military having to buy their own insurance indicates he doesn’t know what the military is all about. His dismissive attitude towards Christians in this country indicates he doesn’t know what his constituency is all about.
    His comment about small business owners not building their businesses just confirms my suspicions.
    I’ve seen him on TV telling his audience it’s time to "reward our friends and punish our enemies". How can you deny that he’s formenting class warfare??
    His numerous multi-million dollar family vacations at a time when we’re borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend is outrageous. He’s squandering our national treasury.
    I’ll conclude by assring you that "Trickle -down government" has no future. Take a look at Greece, Spain, Portugal etc. if you don’t believe me.

12. Mike W   October 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Comment 9 "I

13. Pink   October 5, 2012 at 8:54 am

In his ever continuing quest to be named "dumbest person on the planet" Al Gore blames Obama’s poor performance in Thursday evening’s presidential debate on the "altitude". Clearly Tipper should never allow him to leave the house without a keeper. I wonder though (if it is true that the altitude actually does affect Obama’s mental process) how many of his really critical presidential errors in judgement were made while flying high above the clouds in Air Force One.

14. Mike W   October 5, 2012 at 10:40 am

Jeez .. you are just so shallow Pink, when will you ever start practicing what you preach… your love of the Bible and Christ is just so superficial…

@ Tom Conley, "Anyone who claims on his inauguration that the ocean’s tides will slow in rising and the planet will begin to heal is an egomaniac who thinks of himself as divinity.

I truly feel sorry for you man, you sir are a perfect example of the well educated dimwits who fail to understand there is another aspects of man, besides the physical and mental, you lack understanding in the natural sciences and especially quantum physics or you would know that it was from there that Obama made the above statement, and you too would know that when you stop poisoning the earth will begin to heal itself just like we do. Have you never watched a cut heal on your own body Tom ? As above so below

PS … It’s a pretty safe bet these days, that those who refer to Obama using his middle name are bigots … "I don’t like Barak Hussein Obama" Yeah and therein lies your problem Mr. Conley, you still believe it’s all about the man, that the president is the leader without looking a little deeper to see that in the U.S., there are three industries that operate in a political and economic environment such that they can literally write their own ticket: the tentacular defense industry, the large financial and banking industry and the pivotal health industry.
    Together, these industries account for more than forty percent of the U.S. economy. Their common characteristic is that suppliers can more or less create their own demand and fix prices accordingly. The potential for gouging is enormous. Needless to say, these industries are among the most profitable ones… for those who can enter them. The work that lies ahead then will be to shrink all of the above down to what they were in 1954. Romney says we need a strong defense, horse feathers.. There is no natural enemy of the American people, except the west’s commercial system and their media who bombard us with propaganda while they bomb the heck out of poor people to clear the way for the industries mentioned above and it’s been going on for a very long time.

In light of the fact that the American president is not the leader of America or the free world, there is no leader nor should there be one. The American president as well as all the other civil servants, who we call government, work not for the state, but for the American taxpayer and it is up to the American taxpayer to muster the cajones (ba**s) to make that clear to them, because as it stands now, we’ve got non-taxpaying big business calling the shots.. If you really want to get a grip then grab your representatives by the short hairs and remind them who they work for…

15. Terry Leather   October 5, 2012 at 11:54 am

Wednesday night, the bad economy finally got to a point where Obama felt the pain. Of course, he should be able to come back if he can fix four years of failure before the next debate. What I loved was That side-hug and back pat Obama got from Michelle after the debate. Back in my dating days, that meant

16. Pink   October 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm

There you go again Mike W. You never let me down. Whenever I make a comment which you simply cannot refute you attack me in my faith. Re-reading my last comment I cannot find a thing which would make anyone think I’m a "bad" Christian or that I don’t strive to follow the teachings of Christ. This is politics Mike, not religion, aren’t they supposed to be kept separate? I didn’t say anything about "hating" Al Gore, I just said he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, doesn’t mean I don’t like him. Interesting how you never accuse Redneck Bill of being shallow and un Christian when he attacks Bush or Jer or Jeff or whoever else he sometimes takes off on, guess that is because his beliefs are similar to yours. Just because we are Christians doesn’t mean we are perfect. No one is. I’m sure you have some "quotes" from obscure people and a few whacky websites to recommend that we all read, so have a nice day.

17. Mike W   October 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hardly worth responding but … No darling, politics and religion are much the same and it is politics and religion that should have no part in government. (I said that)
    And about the rest of your comment, it is just your rather nasty and uncharitable remark about a man (two men) you do not know. And, by the way, every day you wake up in the morning, Al Gore is being proven to be right about global warming ~ Judge ye not ~ "dumbest person on the planet" ? Hmmm

18. Terry Leather   October 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

A teleprompter…..a teleprompter……my kingdom for a teleprompter!

Obama showed up for a conversation and Romney showed up with a chainsaw.

19. Pink   October 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

Geez Mike, who spit in your Wheaties? It is really interesting to me to see how someone who tries to make himself seem so urbane and knowledgeable can turn so mean when cornered. You go on and on about Bush being a criminal and not being able to leave the country because he would be arrested and hung by a world tribunal or something and then old Al puts his foot in his mouth (yet again) on coast to coast TV and the Worldwide Web, I point it out in jocular vein, and suddenly I’m the one who is being nasty and uncharitable? Seriously? Talk about "judge not". Have you got a mirror handy? Because if so you need to look in it friend. Redneck Bill and I don’t agree politically but we respect each others view points, and on the whole I think he is a nice guy. It’s okay to have different view points Mike, it really is. I rarely, if ever, agree with anything you say but I would stand up to anybody and defend your right to say it. If a Republican made the kind of dumb remark that Gore made you Liberals would be on it like a duck on a June bug and you know it. I’m pretty sure that President Obama didn’t appreciate the altitude comment very much either. Made both he and Al look pretty silly. So go ahead, call me names, hit below the belt like all school yard bullies, I can take it. I turn the other cheek. It is a beautiful Saturday morning Mike, go out and enjoy it.

20. Still Laughing   October 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I think mike W obviously has some anger management issues. I like reading the comments page and enjoy most of the bantering that goes back and forth between some of the "regulars" who contribute here. Pink has a terrific sense of humor, sometimes it is rapier sharp, sometimes droll, but there is never anything mean in it. Al Gore opened his mouth without connecting his brain first (yet again) and made both he and the president look ridiculous. That stuff goes viral Mike, did you really think nobody was going to have a good time with it? I mean the talk show hosts will dine out on the altitude did it for months! Why on earth you would attack Pink about her religious beliefs makes absolutely sense, and to call her nasty and uncharitable makes you look, well, nasty and uncharitable. I have to say it didn’t make you look well Mike, you reacted like a 10 year old. Personal attacks really aren’t very nice. I would also like to add that while I voted for Obama 4 years ago I won’t be doing so again. He fooled me once, he won’t be getting a second chance.

21. Lol   October 7, 2012 at 7:58 am

Taxing rich people will increase jobs by

22. Tom Conley   October 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

Mike W –
    WOW! I thought all you "peace and love" mooks were taught you don’t call someone names like "dimwit" and "racist" without knowing anything about them. I guess I overestimated you.
    Very candidly – your lack of intellect is showing.
    Ever heard of WWII? I ddin’t think so. Next time you’re close to a history book try to pick it up and thumb to the section on that war. In there you will learn that there were two countries at the time who were very much natural enemies of almost everyone else on the planet. You’ll also hear the names of two courageous U.S. presidents who actually took world leadership roles and brought us out of the worst crisis this nation has ever faced.
    Write me again when you’ve caught up!!

23. justwondering   October 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Love ya Pink..but Tipper LEFT Al Gore awhile back..hmmm…maybe THAt explains WHY AL GORE is so..well ..AL GORE!!! Ive got pop corn and a Bud waiting for the match up with Ol’ Joe and Paul..Hope the altitude doesnt affect Ol ‘Joe!!!

24. Pat   October 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm

The sad fact (for our country)is that Mr. Obama never was anything more than a well constructed marketing image — no accomplishments of substance and his past hidden. He never should have been because in truth he never was. Sad.

25. Pink   October 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Sorry "justwondering" forgot Tipper had left old Al, guess that explains it…. I never let my husband leave the house without making sure his socks and shirt match (-: I too look forward to the match between Paul and Joe, it should be a cake walk unless they let Joe have cue cards, maybe they should hold this debate below sea level. Thank you "Still Laughing" for the kind words of support, I try to keep things light but Mike W tends to have a short fuse. By the way, were you making fun of me or quoting me with the (yet again) remark? I know I use it allot…. habit.

26. Patti   October 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm

"Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?" Not for most of us. For most of us, Mr. Obama has added about many thousands per person of national debt. The unemployment rate is still horrific. We have a crumbling stock market and a moribund real estate market. As people have stated above, the national mood is awful.

27. justwondering   October 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm

SUPRISE!!Today the Administration admits that the murder of our Ambass. and 4 others in Libya on SEPT 11 was indeed a terrorist attack..yet during the first 10 days following the murders,the administration BLAMED them on a video that frankly no one has seen!! Only after the persistence of Darryl Issas committe has the TRUTH come out..Barack Husein Obama went on Letterman*(remember he was terribly doing entertainment shows that week including the View) when he denied to us..the people who write his paycheck that it was not terrorists!! he never said"We dont know" or "we will find the truth" no..he was quick to blame them on some video..he should be fired for LYING to the American people..can you imagine Mike Ws reaction when he realizes hes been duped these past 4 years??Or mr Monday who still stands behind this "Oh..I was being polite to Mitt during the debate thats why I was totally unable to defend anything ive done the past 4 years" president..and the advertisement that Obama has now regarding big Bird and the Romney campagn..really??is that all they have??In these times of no jobs..no housing..no money..increased debt..TERRORIST ATTACKS>>a man getting off a plane today with an arsenol…thats all they can do??Fill 15 seconds of BIG BIRD..id be totally ashamed if I was on BARACK HUSEIN OBAMAS team right now because obviously hes not taking this very seriously…