Search of bags not appreciated

My family attended this year’s Fourth of July event at the Grand Tradition as we have for many years. This year’s policy of searching all the bags of people coming into the event and forcing them to throw away any food they brought in was unacceptable.

I saw people forced to throw away large quantities of perfectly good food at the gate. I saw large bags of grapes, apricots, etc. trashed even though I didn’t see any vendors selling fruit at the event. The people at the gate destroying the food said they were doing it because the vendors were selling food and bringing in outside food would affect their sales.

In our small community, I think that the restaurants selling food would not suffer unduly from someone bringing in a bag of grapes or whatever.

Couldn’t the Fallbrook Beautification Alliance be more reasonable? They could advertise that restaurants in Fallbrook would be offering food and snacks for purchase, but also understand that people with children want to be able to give their children their own healthy alternatives?

We enjoyed the event. I imagine it was a financial success for the beautification alliance but the “search and seizure” at the gate should not become a Fallbrook tradition.

Linda Blanz

14 Responses to "Search of bags not appreciated"

1. Mom of lots   July 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Oooooo. Not cool. Not cool at all.

2. long time resident   July 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Precisely the reason we didn’t attend. There was nothing being served there that the small grandchildren would eat. My daughter wanted to bring some grapes and apples for the little ones but we were told it wouldn’t be allowed, so we stayed home and watched the fireworks from our patio while eating our own food. Saved us over a $100.

3. nice event, but...   July 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

they don’t have to bully it like that. Taking a few snacks is not going to break the vendor’s banks. Come on, get real – 4th of July event organizers. We watch from home too.

4. Hmm   July 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm

You can bet there was an abundance of wine vendors..a "family event."

5. wow   July 20, 2013 at 12:14 am

What happened to the friendly village. These so called family events are run by a bunch a rich greedy snobs.

6. Mean Spirited   July 20, 2013 at 9:37 am

I

7. De Luz Neighbor   July 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

One of these "rich, greedy, snobs" recently passed away. See details here: http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/71235/#comments

I hope they’ll be able to continue the tradition. These big displays are phenomenally expensive and it’s unlikely the sponsors recoup their expenses.

Leave the food at home and enjoy the conveniences.

8. Joemamma   July 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Maybe you complainers didn’t realize, but ALL of the food proceeds went to the FBA. Not to "greedy snobs". FBA barely makes their budget each year, but if they stopped doing fireworks I bet I’d hear all sorts of complaining. All of a sudden everybody would be whining about having to drive somewhere if they wanted to see fireworks. And everyone would complain that they didn’t get to use park on Mission. I for one am very grateful that the FBA puts on such a wonderful event, and $100 for my family is a small price to pay to keep Fallbrook’s 4th of July what it is. If we don’t all do our part, there will be nothing to take part in.

9. long time resident   July 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

We would have been more than willing to buy food and beverages for the adults and older children, but merely wanted to bring snacks for the babies. There were no vendors selling fruit for children. All we ask is that the FBA use a little common sense. What good does throwing away perfectly good food do anyone?

10. Mom of lots   July 21, 2013 at 10:17 pm

There is the letter of law and the spirit of law. Making someone throw away grapes or apples that were a snack for young children is ridiculous (letter of law- following the "rules to a T). I fully understand having vendors and making a rule that food is not allowed in because the sale of the food pays for the firework display. However, the spirit of the law seems much more reasonable……having some snacks for little ones. No biggie.

11. justme   July 21, 2013 at 11:55 pm

1. I can understand not letting people bring in huge coolers full of entire meals, but it was a little extreme. I had a small bottle of water and a travel size packet of baby formula powder in my purse. Now I did not even have the baby with me, we took him to my mom’s as we thought he’s probably still a little young to appreciate fireworks and he would have only been frightened. I just still happened to have the items in my purse and they took them. I was pretty irate as the stuff is expensive, but I didn’t want to ruin the day so I shut my mouth. Confused on what the heck I was supposed to do if I DID have the baby with me? And how baby formula competes with vendors’ sales?
    2. Some people have special dietary needs, and the types of foods at these events may not meet them. So are they just expected not to eat?
    3. We aren’t trying to be "negative and mean spirited". The searches were invasive and unexpected, the items seized made no sense. Suggestion for next year: ban coolers or other large containers or bags that are strictly for food or drink. If someone is bringing in items in amounts small enough to fit in a purse or small bag, there’s probably a reason (I.e. special diet, baby food, picky kids). Be reasonable, use common sense, and let it go.
    4. To the commenter named Hmm: how is wine incompatible with family, exactly?

12. Queen   July 23, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Glad I missed it. @ just me…seems those confiscating probably can’t think outside the box. Guess if you had your baby there he/she would either have to starve, you could bird it and chew the food for him/her or just go home. UNREAL, and they have alcohol but you can’t feed your kid, pathetic!

13. Heads UP.   July 28, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Food vendors, and ALL other vendors, do NOT dictate ANY rules at an event.
    Please stop finger pointing at the Vendors, who worked for FREE for this event.
    This event for we vendors was all about raising funds for the Fallbrook Beautification Alliance. A big name for a grass roots company that works to keep Fallbrook, clean and green.
    Because, the County of San Diego, is not going to.

For those of you who actually came to this event, and are unhappy with children’s fruit etc. being thrown away. I’m with you 100%.

For those of you who did not attend this really awesome event, but like to spread negativity. Gosh. I’m at a loss for words.

This was a really great event. Can it be made better? Well, of course! IMO
    Dee Nusser
    Brother’s Bistro

14. dumb and dumber   July 29, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Dumb is not understanding "no outside food or beverages allowed." Dumber is confiscating a packet of baby formula. Really? Instead of french fries, they must have offered a side order of Enfamil or Similac with a cheeseburger. Or, is a private, curtained space provided for lactating mothers? Something made with a nice patriotic print fabric? Someone with a brain please…