Who should be allowed to vote?

Once again, common sense has been destroyed by our corrupt government. The question is: Who should be allowed to vote?

Did you know that originally only land owners were allowed to vote? That’s because it was their money that was going into the pot of money on which the government was going to run. They did not want anyone who had not contributed to the pot having a vote on how it was going to be spent. Doesn’t that make sense? I certainly don’t want my neighbors having a say on how I am going to spend my income. Neither do I want anyone who hasn’t paid taxes into the government having any say on how that money is going to be spent.

Voting is a privilege that has to be earned. It is not a God-given right of existence. We need notary publics at the polls checking people’s ID to make sure they are who they say they are. Otherwise, what is the point?

I fear it has now become a joke of who can stuff the ballot box the best without getting caught.

Carolyn Armbrust Mathes

24 Responses to "Who should be allowed to vote?"

1. Really?   October 12, 2012 at 11:16 am

Nothing to fear Carolyn,

2. Really?   October 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

Almost forgot, can’t what to see who will be the first to post the old reliable red herring post that "only white males" could vote"

3. Pink   October 12, 2012 at 11:54 am

I am a woman and "we" have had the right to vote since 1928!! I have NEVER missed an election since I tuned 21 in the late 1960s. I cast my very first vote for Ronald Reagan and I will be casting a vote in November for Mitt Romney. There should be no such thing as "second class citizen’s" in the United States of America, what makes us great are our individual freedoms. We need to just say NO to socialist reformers. Be it far left or far right, extremists are extremists and should be turned away.

4. Carla   October 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Clearly Ms. Mathes is right in line with current extremist GOP political thought. She seems to think that the poor should be unable to participate in the election of the very government that rules them. King George would be so proud!

5. Jer   October 15, 2012 at 8:31 am

The "Poor " suppression argument is a Red Herring, and you know it. Unless of course by suppression you mean taking away one’s ability to vote more than once in an election. In that case, I’m all about that kind of voter suppression.

6. Carolyn Armbrust Mathes   October 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Unfortunately, things have already gotten extreme and we need extreme measures to right the ship. There’s a joke I’ve seen showing Obama saying, “Yes, I will take from those that don’t vote for me and give to those that do.” HaHa. Every household that pays income taxes will be allowed to vote. No one on welfare will be allowed to vote. Illigals will not be allowed to vote. You must have a Social Security Card which matches your picture ID and proof of your address. We must get rid of the corrupt politicians who are encouraging the perpetuation of poor, controllable people that they can rule over. And I can’t help but think that anyone who doesn’t see it that way, must be on the government teat, which is really my teat since it’s my tax dollars that are supplying the milk.

7. Melissa J   October 15, 2012 at 5:52 pm

"Voting is a privilege that has to be earned"

No its not, its a right.

8. Mike W   October 15, 2012 at 6:26 pm

First of all, voter fraud has been proven to be practically non existent, it’s the old Hegelian dialectic‎ at work again. It always begins with a lie, they make erroneous claims of voter fraud so they can have a reason to trim the votes off of certain voting demographic any way they can, and that would be democrats, since we all know it’s coming from the Right.
    Carolyn Armbrust Mathes, I believe you are a good and caring person, so please understand that the poor of today are a far cry from the poor of the days when our country was founded. The overwhelming majority of todays poor are well educated compared to the poor back then who couldn’t read or write and really didn’t have an interest in government until much later in our history, so your "Voting is a privilege that has to be earned and "Voting is not a right" point is moot. Many of the poor of today owned/own business and land, farmers who got taken advantage of by industry the banking (usury) Cartels who regularly pervert the economy to their benefit, it’s a well known part of our history for those willing to look/see.
    Of course there are some people who are so full of themselves they feel all poor are of little real worth, no matter how well educated, and therefore and forever beneath him…

Yes Carla, King George lives, his banks have established themselves little by little since they were kicked out by our brave forefathers, various time through our history, and it is they who assassinated our most prized citizens and try their best to run the country, our military and the world, if we let them…

"The few who can understand the system will be either so interested in its profits, or so dependent on its favors, that there will be no opposition from that class, while, on the other hand, the great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that Capital derives from the system, will bear its burden without complaint and, perhaps, without even suspecting that the system is inimical to their interests."
    — The Rothschild brothers, in letter written from London in 1838 to the Rothschild’s New York agents on introducing their banking system to America.

"For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as

9. Pink   October 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I agree with you up to a point Carolyn. Obviously illegal aliens should not be allowed to vote. Only American citizens have that right, but are you seriously saying that someone who is a citizen should not have the right to vote because they are on welfare? If so then I absolutely disagree with you on that point. We may not always like how they vote but we certainly cannot and should not take that right away from them! That is a slippery slope that I am not prepared to go down.

10. B Barth   October 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Thank you for printing this. Out of the mouths of babes, stripped of PR euphemism, we can see the true agenda of the reactionary right.

11. Alturas   October 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm

The right to vote is earned by turning 18 and being a citizen. It can be taken away depending on felonies in their record. Disenfranchising people because they are poor is OBVIOUSLY democratic by nature. Pink, women had the right to vote before 1928. Your line about there should be no "second class citizens" is laughable as gays, lesbians, minorities and women still are. Oh the irony in voting for Romney, who doesn’t want to even consider giving gays the right to marriage.

12. Carolyn Armbrust Mathes   October 16, 2012 at 9:20 am

So, what I’m hearing is that none of you mind if your neighbor has a say in how you spend your income. Well, I do. It’s as simple as that.
    The role of Government is to protect the people…circle the wagons, secure the boarders from invaders and control those who are harming others. If everyone helped just one person that needed help we could take care of the helpless a lot better than giving money to some bureaucracy. My husband has had the opportunity to take homeless people to dinner several times. How many of you have done that?

13. Pink   October 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thank you “Alturas” for pointing out my typo. Of course you are correct, women got the right to vote on August 26, 1920. 19th Amendment to the Constitution if we want to be precise. I said there should be NO such thing as second class citizens in the United States of America, I didn’t say there weren’t others who still consider some people second class citizens. I said it is wrong! I have NEVER considered myself a second class anything. We have come a very long way since only “white male” land owners were the only ones with any real rights in this country and we still have a ways to go. I am a woman. I am a Republican. I am a Christian. I VOTE. Are you seriously saying that because I am a “woman” I should only be allowed to be a Democrat? In that case should African American’s only be Republicans? After all it was the party of Lincoln who were instrumental in freeing the slaves. I think that people have a right to be a member of whatever party they choose. There are several factors at play as to why I am voting for Romney, mostly it is because Obama has done such an abysmal job in the last 4 years that I think a change, any change, has to be better then what we have now (and please stop with the “he inheirited this mess from Bush” whine) because that blather will only play for so long before it gets old and stale. Time for Obama to stand on his own record (which aint so hot). I am middle class and I am sick and tired of being taxed to death! The rich pay big bucks to accountants to keep them from paying more, and the poor don’t have to pay anything, so that leaves the rest of us, and “we are tired as heck and we’re not going to take it anymore”. As for gay rights, I have gay friends who … surprise, surprise… are voting for Romney, because they too, are sick to death of being taxed out of their homes. They are comfortable in their own skins. After all, as they pointed out just the other day, Obama was against gay marriage himself until recently when he changed sides to boost his ratings.

14. Alturas   October 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I never said you should vote for anyone party simply because you are a woman or if you are African American. That’s up for you to decide. Changing sides to boost ratings? Hasn’t Romney done the same if not repeatedly? As for women’s suffrage, Janis Lane, president of the Central Mississippi Tea Party, has stated that "Our country might have been better off if it was still just men voting." Pretty ridiculous.

15. Carolyn Armbrust Mathes   October 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Of course people on the government teat want to vote. They want to vote for socialism. But,what is Socialism?
    What I hear from the Democrats is "Take from the rich and give to the poor. The rich Republicans only care about themselves and don

16. Pink   October 16, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Janis Lane sounds like an idiot. Of course the fact that she lives in Mississippi might explain things. (kidding) However I have never heard of her and have never heard of that comment so it may, in all fairness, have been taken out of context. My grandmother was a Suffragette and a card carrying Democrat, my great aunt Sallie was a Suffragette and a staunch Republican. Proof that we can’t put people in boxes. I was raised to be a strong woman with an open mind and I chose to be a Republican because their ideology is more strongly in line with my own. Less government. I agree with Carolyn that there are far too many "lifers" on welfare, and for some reason (I guess to get more votes) the Democrats like to keep them there. I take the "give them a hand, not a handout approach". That being said, I certainly would never want to take away their right to vote. If we start down that path, who is next? Christians? Jews? Gays? Didn’t we learn this lesson already?

17. Carolyn Armbrust Mathes   October 16, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Hey, I just got the mail. Our Official Election Ballots came…again!
    Yes, that’s right, we also got our Official Election Ballots a couple of weeks ago. Gee, does this mean we get to vote twice. How many other people are getting to vote twice? For those of you that don’t think we have a problem with our voting system, what do you think now?

18. Alturas   October 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Carolyn, there are other factors to people’s voting. Voting for a candidate is not determined solely by economic plans but also social progress as well as other non-monetary issues.

19. David Melendez   October 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Lady, if you want to see some for real social unrest in this country, just keep up with this exclude the poor from voting BS. I’m poor and if you scum try to keep me from casting my ballot for the candidate of my choice the social contract is over. At that point it’s to the streets!!

20. Alturas   October 16, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Carolyn, I’m guessing this is what you are referring to.
    "A proposition on the Nov. 6 ballot that would create a new Bonsall Unified School District was mistakenly left off the ballots of voters in two areas it would affect.
    Additional election materials from the Registrar of Voters office are being mailed to voters in Fallbrook and Rainbow. A misunderstanding led to Proposition BB being left off sample ballots, voter information pamphlets and vote-by-mail ballots."

21. Carolyn Armbrust Mathes   October 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thank you Alturas, you are correct.
    Thank goodness.

22. Pink   October 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Received that also Carolyn, it is an addendum to the first mailing, something they had left out, not a double mailing of the original.

23. Erin Valdez   November 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm

@Carolyn, you certainly have a very low opinion of anyone who may be of a lower socio-economic class than you. The poor of today were yesteryears homeowners, self employed individuals, small businesses, etc. The fastest rising class of poor people, are women and children. So your husband took homeless people out to dinner? Did he do it to get a tax write-off, or because he truly empathized with them? Did he give them any tips, or "show them how to fish" with any of his wisdom in business?

All I can say to you, is don’t take for granted what you have, because that can all change in a heartbeat. Please see, Wildfires of 2008, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Sandy, etc. I witnessed that first hand while working as a notary at the UPS store after we opened again for business after the wildfires.

Dozens and dozens of folks came in with nothing but the clothes on their backs, and told me they lost everything in the fires. Everything. Pictures, paperwork, material things, beloved pets, etc. Some or most of these folks were quite well off. Some had made the mistake of not keeping their insurance policies in force or up to date with the market value of their homes. Many were underinsured. Many were homeless. Some still haven’t fully financially recovered what they lost in the wildfires. What would you do if that situation happened to you Mrs. Mathes?

Would you regret all of your comments against the poor, when you are faced with homelessness after a disaster? Or if your husband, God forbid, should pass away? All I am saying is things happen for a reason. Sometimes to teach people to be a little more humble and grateful, instead of
    judgemental and discriminating.

24. Erin Valdez   November 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I would love to see academic sources, to back up your arguments Mrs. Mathes. And not anything from wikipedia, either.

Where do you get the idea that people on welfare have never held a job or paid income taxes?? The average time a welfare recipient spends on aid, is only 6 months. 78% of people on welfare are children.

Where do you get the idea- that the right to vote should be decided by your socio-economic status? So nobody except the wealthy, should be allowed to make decisions about our country? Why not just go back to the days before our Constitution? Really, that is the most absurd comment yet!

And last time I checked illegal aliens were not allowed to vote.