21-year-old Escondido woman dies in San Marcos crash

A 21-year-old Escondido woman was killed early today in a single-vehicle crash on state Route 78 in San Marcos.

Her name has not been released. She was driving her 1997 Acura CL west on 78 near Linda Vista Drive at about 2:20 a.m., when she lost control while changing lanes and veered onto the right shoulder, CHP Officer Jim Bettencourt said.

The coupe then overturned and struck a tree, coming to a rest upside down, Bettencourt said. The driver died at the scene.

Bettencourt said it was unclear if drugs or alcohol were a factor in the collision.

6 Responses to "21-year-old Escondido woman dies in San Marcos crash"

1. Lee   April 14, 2014 at 7:16 am

For goodness’s sake! Please let this not be another alcohol-related death!

2. Ray (the real one)   April 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Could be a pot related death….. ever think of that?

3. DR DR   April 14, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Realistically – more apt to be prescription drugs from the doctor. I’ll bet there were more Avo Festors on drugs than alcohol or pot. Under the Influence of ANY mind altering substance. That’s my observance yesterday.

4. Lisa   April 15, 2014 at 10:15 am

Accidents happen everyday. Sometimes we lose loved ones to them. My family knows this young lady and her family. She was a beautiful girl…working and attending college. We grieve with her family. A tragic loss. Question: Why is it that some people find it necessary to share their assumptions "outloud" on a story so tragic? Is it narcissism? I don’t get it! I feel sorry for people like that.

5. Fallbrook res.   April 15, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Oh my, she was just starting her life. As a mom of 7, my heart goes out to the friends and family.

6. grunt   April 16, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Lisa, sorry for you friend’s loss; to answer your question – some people have to attack others to feel better about themselves. Some of us feel ok about ourselves and wait for the facts. I could guess that this young person was startled by an animal racing out in the street after she had worked a double shift to support her mother – makes as much sense as suggesting she was high or drunk or on her phone.