Avocados are good for more than making guacamole. They can be used in a variety of healthy snack foods. Here are three recipes from the Hass Avocado Board for avocado lovers to try out.
Chocolate Avocado Energy Bars (Original) Recipe
Total Time: 15 minutes of prep, plus 2 hours of chill time
These no-bake bars deliver energy on-the-go and are packed with nutrients to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 avocado halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan with foil leaving a 2-inch overhang. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Process dates, almonds and avocado in a food processor until mixture is finely chopped and sticky.
- Add coconut, chia seeds and cocoa powder and pulse until mixture is well combined.
- Stir in sunflower seeds and mini chocolate chips.
- Press mixture into prepared pan and refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Cut into 16 bars.
Frozen Avocado Banana Paleta
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
Made with 100 percent fruit, this creamy pop will delight children of all ages.
- 1 ripe, fresh Hass avocado peeled, halved, pitted and cubed
- 4 cups orange juice
- 2 medium bananas peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 8 (5 oz.) paper cups
- 8 wooden craft sticks
- Place orange juice, bananas, avocado and lime juice into blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Divide into 8, 5 oz. paper cups. Cover cups with aluminum foil. Insert one stick through the center of each piece of foil.
- Freeze for 4 hours until firm.
Tip: Frozen treat molds may be used. Yield may vary.
Cauliflower Tots with Avocado Basil Dipping Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
These baked vegetable tots are perfectly paired with a rich and creamy avocado dipping sauce for a perfect bite every time.
- 2 cups packed cauliflower rice or 1 (10 oz.) pkg. cauliflower rice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 fresh avocado halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Place cauliflower rice in microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave 3 minutes or until tender. Cool. Squeeze dry.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cauliflower rice, egg, breadcrumbs, mozzarella, Parmesan, red bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper in a bowl. Shape into 28 tots, about 1 tablespoonful each.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheet and spray tops of tots with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5-10 minutes (to firm up) before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree avocado, yogurt, basil, lemon