FALLBROOK – The Fallbrook Garden Club held its annual summer picnic, Aug. 3, at Live Oak Park. While there wasn’t a great turnout, those members who came had a great time enjoying the food and companionship.
Since it was a very hot day, the potluck menu consisted mainly of pasta salads, macaroni salad, gelatin salad, assorted green salads, deviled eggs, chips and salsa, finger sandwiches and tomato tart. Water and soft beverages were provided by the club.
Below is a recipe for the tomato tart which was made by Hanh DeMore and enjoyed by everyone at the picnic.
Zucchini Potato Tomato Tart
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, sliced and caramelized until golden brown
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 Roma or plum tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of margarine in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 15-20 minutes until tender and caramelized.
- Spray a quiche pan or round baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon caramelized onions into the pan and spread evenly.
- Toss potatoes, zucchini and tomato slices with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer over the onions, alternately and overlapping slightly. Drizzle with melted margarine and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Leave uncovered and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.