Special to the Village News
I’m not sure why, but my brain works overtime when thinking of new ideas for a tantalizing dish to create. For a week, I kept thinking of the black rice I bought and what I could make with it. It looks exotic, and has a great nutty flavor.
I questioned myself over and over about what flavor do I want, Mexican, Indian, Italian? So I went with a Thai curry sauce. I believe if I substitute green enchilada sauce for the curry sauce and replace sweet potato with mushrooms it would be a hit. The dish tastes delicious without curry sauce too. Eat on my friends, healthier rice!
Black Rice Confetti with Shrimp
Black rice – prepare in rice cooker – see instructions below.
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1/4 cup zucchini, chopped small
- 1/4 cup yellow squash, chopped small
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, boil, drain, set aside
- 5 pineapple rings, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 – 11oz. jar Trader Joe’s Thai Red Curry Sauce
- 20 large shrimp sautéed in peanut oil until pink- do not over cook.
- 1 Tablespoon peanut oil
Toasted coconut for garnish
- Cook black rice in rice cooker: 1 1/2 scoops (scoop provided with cooker) and fill water line up to 1 3/4. You can use vegetable or chicken broth, but when creating this recipe I used water, less sodium. Keep the lid on after rice has cooked to keep warm, but pull plug to turn off cooker.
- Peel off sweet potato skin, chop into 1/2 inch cubes and boil in water until soft, drain and set aside.
- Sauté bell pepper, zucchini, squash and onion in large pan medium high heat with peanut oil until al dente, then stir in sweet potato and pineapple.
- Stir in Thai Red Curry sauce, add rice, stir well on low heat.
- Up to this point a vegan meal – to add shrimp see next step.
In a large pan on medium high heat add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and large raw shrimp. Cook shrimp both sides about 2-3 minutes until opaque in color.
Serve shrimp over rice confetti. Makes about 6 cups of confetti rice. Place 1 1/2 cups rice confetti and 5 shrimp on each plate or bowl. Serves 4